Should I just break the bolt?

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK for now. Picked up the mid section yesterday. Two heli-coils installed. Spoke with the machinist who said the bolts were really corroded and he had to drill them completely out? He charged me $58 which I thought was fair for drilling and installing two heli coils?
Looking back on the process I probably made many mistakes. The most obvious being loosing my patience. It was very strange the way those bolts snapped off. They seemed to be loosening. I was working them back and forth with oil and was using a 1/4 inch drive. The other two similar bolts came right out?
I removed the powerhead and mid section without breaking any more bolts, just those two?
Looking back on the job, I learned a lot. I'm not sure I could ever get those bolts out without drilling and heli coils like the machinist did? I do know that I'll have more broken bolts to deal with in the future and I've got a lot more experience now. I'll be on the lookout for a set of cobalt drill bits and a heli coil kit?
Thanks to everyone who read and participated in this thread. I know that breaking bolts on older outboards is a common issue. There are lots of good tips and advice on this thread for anyone experiencing broken bolts.
I'll be starting a new thread about putting this motor back together. I've got new bolts and a new gasket ordered.
I've still got lots of questions.
thanks again
rob

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is such a thing as " hydrogen embrittlement " on stainless materials.---Especially if used in a salt environment.-----------Makes bolts break off.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
TwoRivers, First off keep posting to this thread and then everybody reading or following your engine efforts can follow along without switch to another thread. Secondly. just remember, IF you have similar situations down the road and buy the Cobalt Drill Bits to drill the broken bolts out, DON'T break the Cobalt Drill bit off when drilling. Then you are royally screwed. A broken off drill bit is worst then any broken off bolt... Glad to see you're back on track now... :thumb:

dazk14

Ensign
TwoRivers, First off keep posting to this thread and then everybody reading or following your engine efforts can follow along without switch to another thread. Secondly. just remember, IF you have similar situations down the road and buy the Cobalt Drill Bits to drill the broken bolts out, DON'T break the Cobalt Drill bit off when drilling. Then you are royally screwed. A broken off drill bit is worst then any broken off bolt... Glad to see you're back on track now... :thumb:

Let's not hit the alarmist button for using the ideal tool for this job - cobalt bit(s). The pressure required drilling with crappy bits is the most common reason why drill bits are broken in the 1st place, not to mention it hardens the Stainless bolt. The OP did indicate he was drilling for a LONG period of time.

I think the bandwidth is better served adding techniques and suggestions dealing with the VERY common broken bolt scenario. If we want to dip into the broken drill bit removal scenario, fine... I can add more later.

This isn't a thread about easy-outs which as a general rule, should NEVER be used in in a Marine environment.

Quite frankly, a snap-on pneumatic hammer socket adapter eliminates 80% of these headaches when the adapter can be maneuvered/used.

TwoRivers

Petty Officer 1st Class
"snap-on pneumatic hammer socket adapter "

Sounds interesting?
Would you use this with an impact wrench , an air chisel or?