Should I get a motor scooter?

waterinthefuel

Commander
I'd like some opinions on getting one. For you motorcycle buffs, getting a full fledge motorcycle is out of the question. I was looking at getting a scooter to zip around town in for next to nothing. I found a brand new one for 1500 bucks, 150cc, 60mph top speed, and it resembles a Ninja. There are 3 in that group, and the cheaper one is lighter and has 12.5hp, as opposed to the more expensive (but stylish) 7.2hp, all with the same engine, just an upgraded carb and advanced timing on the least expensive (but ugly)one. They all get between 60-80mpg.<br /><br />Do you think it would be a good idea? Anybody have personal experience with scooters? I'm not looking for a cross country cruiser, just something to buzz me around town, to work and to relatives houses, for example.<br /><br />Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Should I get a motor scooter?

The biggest you can afford. Keep in mind a "full fledged" on-off road dual sport motorcycle will do more and is safer (IMO) and still gets 60mpg (used due to price). <br /><br />A scooter will be good IF you do not have to go far or fast and no major hills to climb. They are an adrenaline rush because they do not have much snap when you are riding a small one. At least with a dual purpose bike you can downshift and move quicker.

aspeck

Staff member

I agree with Bob, I have a little enduro that does just fine around town, much easier and cheaper to run than the 1000cc crotch rocket - not near as fast, though. However, if and when I want I can take it up in the woods - trails or not. Go with the enduro over the scooter.

treedancer

Commander

Topic: Should I get a motor scooter<br /><br /><br />I don’t know how big a boat do you have? :D

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A motor scooter is OK if you don't mind everyone looking at you and your DUI mobile. That's the stigma around here, people think that you lost your drivers license.<br />They're mostly plastic with soft iron frames that don't take much abuse.<br />Take Bob and aspeck's advice and get a real brand name motorcycle of 100cc up.<br /><br />PS, wear a helmet. I hate the .gov telling me I have to (not in IN) but I wear one anyway. Same with seatbelts!

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Triple Dupe

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Double Dupe

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A motor scooter is OK if you don't mind everyone looking at you and your DUI mobile. That's the stigma around here, people think that you lost your drivers license.<br />They're mostly plastic with soft iron frames that don't take much abuse.<br />Take aspeck's advice and get a real brand name motorcycle of 100cc up.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A motor scooter is OK if you don't mind everyone looking at you and your DUI mobile. That's the stigma around here, people think that you lost your drivers license.<br />They're mostly plastic with soft iron frames that don't take much abuse.<br />Take aspeck's advice and get a real brand name motorcycle of 100cc up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got the shakes, there, Dude??

waterinthefuel

Commander

Good grief, looks like you may need to watch that alcohol!!<br /><br />Oh, yea, guys, I live in Louisiana, the flattest state in the nation!! Our tallest obstacle is the side of a drainage ditch! LOL<br /><br />And no, I do not have to go far or fast or climb anything steeper than the curb into the driveway.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Waterinthefuel,Have you thought about all those louisiana bugs that will get in your teeth? :D :D

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is your choice. Get whatever you want.

Ron G

Commander

Rember motor scooters are like big girls,there fun to ride but you dont want your buddies seeing you on them.....im just playing so dont flog me.<br /> But i think id go with bobs or aspecks advice,also a regular motorcycle is a little easier to handle around gravel.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer

waterinthefuel <br />My question to you is how safe you'd feel riding one where you intend? And think bigger picture here - once you have one, you might be tempted to take it a little further than the quick trip to the corner store. <br /><br />Scooters are fun, and certainly have their uses. Before you buy, check the licensing requirements - some states require a motorcycle endorcement on your driver's license. Especially now that more companies are making larger scooters (the Honda Silverwing, Suzuki Burgman, Yamaha Majesty), some of which are even highway legal.<br /><br />Over time, you might realize that they're a decent alternative to a car - especially in your climate, where you can ride year-round. You might even decide to trade-in on something larger - not quite my route, but I eventually ended-up with my current ride, a Honda Goldwing.

Gone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tried editing the dupes and created more dupes. I need to go in for re-education!<br /><br />CD

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I really like my Buddies Ninja 250, nice little Rocket thats cheap (he payed 2600$ new), gets 60-70mpg on the freeway, has enough power for traffic, and will top out at 108 (speed limited) if you have a good stretch of road (resonably quick up to 70mph)

waterinthefuel

Commander

I guess it would be fair to let you see what I have my eye on. It's 1499, no tax, free shipping.<br /><br />Oh yes, I have checked on the licencing requirements, and I do need a cycle endorsement but that's ok, thats not going to discourage me.<br /><br />Of course I know I can do what I want, I'm not asking permission, but just feedback on these. I have no experience with them so I'm curious as to what they are like. <br /><br />As far as safety is concerned, are they any more dangerous than a regular motorcycle? Considering I'm not going on the interstate with it, I doubt it. <br /><br />Oh yea, I can't possibly get the courage up to go further than around town, our town is surrounded by interstates, and nobody in their right mind would take one of these on I-10!!<br /><br />
725__Black-Silver.jpg