Should I foam-in my plastic gas tank?

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice
I'm replacing my old 24 gallon,corroded metal tank with an 18 gallon polyethelene tank. I am going to use 4# foam to fill in the mid-deck. The original tank was completely foamed over. Should I foam over the plastic tank, or should I leave a void and possibly a water drain to the bilge? The boat is a 1972 17 foot Mako.

D

DJ

Re: Should I foam-in my plastic gas tank?

THe foam should not effect the plastic in any way.<br /><br />If drainage is an issue, leave it open. Otherwise I would do what the original builder did.

crab bait

Captain

read the instructions that came with the tank.. it'll say in big bold letters 'DO NOT FOAM IN TANK'... what can i say..

Capt. Stabbin

Seaman Apprentice

Ah, sweet sarcasm! I bought it used, in near perfect shape for $20.00! It's a Tempo if that matters..................

crab bait

Captain

not really sarcasum,but close.<br />good sport ,tho.. <br /><br />so in that case i'll explain why.. cause if it is 'foamed-in',, you'll have a condensation tank in stead of a fuel tank.. <br /><br />they don't even want it to lay on a foam bed.. best to lay in a craddle..but on a piece of p.t.plywood strapped down secure is good..<br /><br />epoxy glue & screw down dry p.t. ply to a few dried/non wet glued down well p.t. support 2x4's..<br /><br />have nylon straps runnin' aound the whole deal .. huggin' the tank to the ply..

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I'll second Crabbys instructions... Negative on the foamage.. :) <br /><br /> Theres also an expansion issue... The foam, when it sets up, will tend to compress the tank..

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

and if u ever have to remove it for some reason...