Should I buy this new Stingray?

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I posted a thread a while back looking for a light boat (3500 lbs dry weigh max) that had a head and could handle the bay boating (cruising to Newport RI and surrounding towns) that my wife and I like. Well I think we found the perfect boat, a Stingray 200c, 205C or 208cr cuddy. Weigh is about 2900, has a head, decent for the bay and fast, too. They are hard to find used. Our local marina has a new 2011 208cr for $32,000. Includes a 4.3 ltr fuel injected Mercruiser (an upgrade), full Bimini and camper top, mooring cover, upgraded color, sport tabs and a tandem trailer with brakes.The list price is $40k. Seems like a high price for a 20 footer, but finding one used is tough. Is $32k a good price? I am tempted but also leery of buying one now and letting it sit till April. Thoughts?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Re: Should I buy this new Stingray?

My son has one, though he took the std. carbed 4.3. Can't say anything bad about the boat. Performance is good, though the stock prop had to be replaced. The factory props for speed. If you try to put more than 4 people aboard, it wouldn't plane.

All in all, now he's thinking of trading it in for a bowrider. The cuddies have a relatively small cockpit, thus entertaining a bunch of people isn't ideal. My son found out that he really didn't use the cabin as much as he thought he would.

That's what I told him in the first place.....LOL. If it were me, I'd opt for a model that had an enclosed head under the port helm station, and stick with a bowrider. If the seas get too rough, just put the bow cover on. That's what I do now.

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know your waters but I have never thought a bowrider for open water boating was a good idea. Don't know your wife either, but I do know most women prefer the privacy of the head in the cabin.

It sounds like you found the type of boat you want. You didn't say anything about wanting a party boat.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It sound like you found a boat that meets you're needs. The question is whether to buy now or wait until spring. Its unlikely to sell now since your boating season is done. If you check back in December maybe you can get an end of the year deal on it.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the feedback so far. I agree that the cockpit area is pretty small on the 208cr Stingray, but that is the price you pay for the enclosed cuddy and higher bow area for the bay. Typically it is just 2 - 4 of us, occaisionally 5. The 220 hp mercruiser 4.3 should be great on this z plane hull, but I will look into the prop pitch situation if I pull the trigger. I currently have a small (18 foot) bowrider with a nice bow cover and use it every time I am in the bay. Somehow, I still would feel uncomfortable in bigger water with the bowrider. I am leaning towards holding off a bit and seeing if the boat is still available after the first of the year....then making a lower offer. It would be nice to have a new boat though, wouldn't it!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I am leaning towards holding off a bit and seeing if the boat is still available after the first of the year....then making a lower offer. It would be nice to have a new boat though, wouldn't it!
Absolutely!

Check their business hours and go on New Year's Eve a couple hours before they close. They'll be anxious to get it off the books in the current year. I "stole" a new car that way once.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I like the idea of hitting them right before New Years. The boat also becomes the prior years model the next day. If it is still available, they may be more open to a lower offer. And we will be that much closer to the new boating season....so my waiting will not be as bad. Any thoughts on a price? Let is $40,700 and they are at $32,500. I was thinking $29,000.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I suppose my biggest hesitation is wanting to look at some 32k used boats/maybe two or three years old but a step or two up the food chain. Boats keep the same style/design for a number of years before they retool the design and so you can get a lot more boat for the same money and of course the engines haven't changed for the better in a long time. I realize though that right now a number of manufacturers are making those model changes now and so a 2 year old boat may be the prior style. I prefer to opt for nearly new, like 40 hours on the engine, with zero wear and tear but pay a lot less, get the upper eschelon for the mid range price, take advantage of the depreciation and at least in MN not pay sales tax on used boats. Buying used is a win/win/win when you can locate the model you want. I do the same with all my vehicles.

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree with Jcust wholeheartedly and have been trying to find a used version of the Stingray 208. This particular boat has the combination of size, light weight and amenities that fit our needs. I almost never see them. The prior model is a 205 cr/cx and their are almost none available that I have found. I agree, 32k buys a heck of a nice used boat. Hmmmm

Shabah 182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay so here we are in mid-January and I am still hemming and hawing on this New (2011) Stingray 208CR cuddy. I did stop by the dealer to look at the boat again last week. In looking closer, it has quite a few more goodies that I hadn't really noticed. Full canvas enclosure, mooring cover, Bimini, upgraded engine 4.3 mpi, transom and bow shower, sport tabs, snap in carpet, hull graphics and color (titanium), removable table and a few others. It will include the trailer of my choice, tandem or single with brakes. It is still available and has an additional $995 rebate, bringing it to about 31k. I really like it but am still hesitant. Wonder if they will take my 18 foot Mariah Shabah in trade? Is it smart to pay cash or do boat dealers offer low financing like the car dealers? Never bought a new boat before.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would think they can take your trade without any issues. Have you checked on insurance, taxes, registration, etc... Sometimes sales tax etc is only charged on new boats. Just be sure you know what you are paying for. I would go for the tandem trailer for sure. Maybe something that has a folding tongue? They are great to have... if you garage it. If you don't garage, then it's a nice resale option to have. I imagine the financing is dependant on the dealer... some will have financing and others won't. Just find you the best rate you can. But having cash ready to go, will always get you the best deal possible. Post up some pics when you get it!

Philster

Captain

Finance rates are great right now. You should score something like 5% or less.

Pay cash for a boat? NO WAY. If money were more expensive (higher rates), then maybe. But, you keep your cash now. If things get rough, you have cash on hand. A boat isn't like a car you need to drive to work or hunt for a job. If things are really bad, you walk away from it and have cash (the cash you never spent).

If you feel more confident into the loan, just pay it off faster. Having a loan gives you options/time at a very, very low cost right now.

Anyway, I like those boats and the price is fine for a package like that. All that equipment runs the price up on new boats.

No finance advice is 100% spot on for everyone. Some people will die of a heart attack if they even spend 5 bucks on interest, while some sleep better knowing that the loan is a little insurance policy in case your life-style changes so much you can't afford the boat anymore.