Should i be worried over these scratches and if so what would be a good repair?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Line X or some other real bed liner product would work as a keel guard, some better than others. Using it inside the hull is of no value, a sand bag is a better choice, but there are far better ways to to keep the bow down. The cheap stuff in a can, or what you can buy at the auto parts store is not even in the same league.

Bed liner is not something you need for any purpose in this project, it will not help in any way to make the repair better.

Now check and see what they will charge you to put a strip of bed liner on the hull, or spray into the hull.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Linex works as a keel guard and as a deck coating (especially in a fishing boat). It is not a water proofing. The spray-on crap from the autoparts store is not a bedliner. It is a rubberized paint that sucks as a coating and as ondarvr pointed out, has no place in your boat

Last edited:

Bman2895

Seaman
well i quoted the local linex and they wanted 1700$. worth near more than the boat. Any other products that could do the same job?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm not sure what job you want it to do, there is no need for it, I'll say it again, there is no need for it, forget about it.

Buy a keel guard type product if you plan on beaching it often, if you don't plan to beach it, you don't need one.

Bman2895

Seaman
Is a keel guard simply a rubber strip down the keel? because i feel like one could build that for less?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
We had a former member that in fact taped off his keel and then used the WalMart Brand of Roll On Bed Liner to Roll On 3-4coats of the stuff to in effect create his own Keel Guard After one Season of Use he reported that in fact it held up quite nicely. Your results might be different. Let us know if you decide to sand off the paint and old Bad Repair and we'll help you get it done the Right Way once we determine exactly what the problem is.;) If you can't keep the bow down you may just need to adjust the motor on the back. Do you have Power Tilt and Trim or Manual??

Last edited:

Bman2895

Seaman
I have power tilt and trim. the boats usually is okay with just me in it. but if you have two people the second person needs to sit up in the front or the boat stands up bad going up on plane and coming down off plane. and i mean like the boat might swap itself with backwash bad.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Here's the deal with store bought bed liner, the only type worth buying to is the two part ones, but you need to know if it's a hard version or a soft one. The hard ones don't work well because they chip and crack, the softer ones aren't abrasion resistant enough, you need one midway between the two. It can be hard to tell which your getting unless you know them well, plus the good ones aren't cheap. The people in the store have no clue as to what it is, they just read the can.

For a good description of the tools needed start reading other threads here on doing repairs, you will see each tool and how it's used for best results.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
also what do you all recommend i sand with?

I suggest you spend $22 at harbor freight for a 5" electric DA sander, since you probably do not have access to an air compressor. I prefer air myself, however have used a few of the harbor freight tools

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I struggled a couple of seasons with the decision of whether to buy a KeelGuard-type product or try the brush-on bedliner method. I eventually decided there weren't enough folks using the bedliner for me to be comfortable with it. I'm not really sure hoe abrasion-resistant bedliner would be, and it would be a major pain to remove if it didn't work well as a protector. A KeelGuard might cost $60-70 more, but they have a good, known track record.

If you do go the bedliner route for keel protection, please document your application and let us know how it works. Good luck!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
40-60 grit with a R/0 electric sander should do the trick on that repair. It's not that big of an area and in about 30 minutes time and 3-4 sheets of paper and you'll be down to glass You wan't to sand an area about 6" bigger all the way around where the previous patch was. Get all the paint off and get down to good fresh fiberglass.

Bman2895

Seaman
would a sanding wheel on an angle grinder work? and i do have a decent size air compressor. it looks like the cold weather here is giving my JB waterweld a hard time setting up completely. i need much warmer weather to do anything im finding out. so for the time being im going to sand the JB weld back a bit and add some fresh and apply on one of the warmer days and cover it up after with a quick little coat of paint over that area. I know its not the proper fix, but i just need something simple to tide me over to warmer weather should i decide to go out fishing. Man i wish i had a heated garage.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you mean an sanding flap disc on a grinder...yes but you must be careful cuz it can get away from you can cause dips and waves in the hull if you're not careful.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Right now the best thing to do is just leave it as is, don't spend more time and money on it if you'll be doing more work later. The fish don't care.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would get a DA from harbor freight vs a flap wheel on a grinder. The grinder can go thru the hull in seconds if your not careful. Plus everyone needs at least one DA

Bman2895

Seaman
i just wanted to make sure if i do go out again that it isnt taking in water there. i already have everything to temporary seal it up so it wont cost any, and. DA?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In the future when doing all the repairs you will need both the DA and 4" grinder/sander, Harbor Freight will have sales on both, the grinder can be had for less than $10.00 during some sales. Just keep watching and buy it when the price drops.

Bman2895

Seaman
I got a quick question. I went out and checked on my boat its mid 20s outside. Well I noticed when I checked my tilt trim it would shutter when I tried to trim the motor up from the down position. Only did it in the fine trim adjustment. Is this just because its so cold out?