Shortening Bimini Top

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My bimini top is too tall and I'd like to bring down a bit. How do I go about achieving this? Thanks for the help.

Here is a picture of what I've got.
Finished010.jpg

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shortening Bimini Top

It doesn't really look like you have a lot of room to shorten that top. You can generally cut the poles but you don't want to change the angle too much, although you could use a little chop on thos support poles. How much do you want to bring it down? Can you mount it outside the windshield on the gunwale? Probably not which is why they mounted it there.

MTribe08

You can generally cut the poles but you don't want to change the angle too much, although you could use a little chop on thos support poles.
Thats my concern, I don't want to mess up the angle..which poles? the rear or the ones attached to the windshield?

Can you mount it outside the windshield on the gunwale? Probably not which is why they mounted it there.
I'm not sure..I do have flat gunwhales along side of the windshield.

How much do you want to bring it down?
I'd like to bring it down 4-6 inches or so. I've got quite a bit of space between the top of my head and the top when I'm standing.

Expidia

Commander

You can cut it to any length you want with a hacksaw. Say you want to drop it by 6 inches. Cut 6 inches off each corner. I'd start with 3 inches and hold it up and check it before you go the whole 6 inches.

Maybe the original owner wanted to stand up in it. Like the other poster said: how much are you looking to drop it?

The ends are probably pop riveted on, drill them out, cut to your length and go to a store like Harbor Freight and buy a pop rivet kit to re-attach the ends.. Around $10 I think, works great.

Utahboatnut

The rear support poles do look a bit long as it is currently, cutting them won't lower the top but it will change the angle of the top. It may just be the angle of the photo but the front looks a bit low(like the straps are pulling too hard but I thinks its more the rear most support poles are too long. I would also say to mount to the fiberglass but that may go too low, even if it is not flat they make a mount that is hinged to accomidate any angle. Otherwise you will have to cut pretty much all of the poles off the same measurement and reattach the ends. Good luck it can be done just a bit of work.

MTribe08

The rear support poles do look a bit long as it is currently, cutting them won't lower the top but it will change the angle of the top. It may just be the angle of the photo but the front looks a bit low(like the straps are pulling too hard but I thinks its more the rear most support poles are too long. I would also say to mount to the fiberglass but that may go too low, even if it is not flat they make a mount that is hinged to accomidate any angle. Otherwise you will have to cut pretty much all of the poles off the same measurement and reattach the ends. Good luck it can be done just a bit of work.

No..you are right..the rear is too high. So if I try cutting off a few inches am I going to cut an equal amount at each place I put a yellow line, and then repeat on the other side? I'll cut off an extra inch on the rear support poles.
biminitop.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

If I was doing what you are I would be sure the leading edge of the bimini is lower than the rear. If not, it will likely try to balloon from air filling and slow you down. That boat looks like it flies.

MTribe08

Yea..I'll make sure there is bit of an angle to the front. Thanks.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I tried this with my Bimini top and found that cutting the main poles flattens the angle between them such that the sides of the top will not tighten and will remain floppy even though the center is tight. This is why I guess manufacturers make specific size tops based on height of the frame. :(

You could cut down the pole that mounts to the windshield with no problem up to where the other pole attaches. May even be able to move that pole slightly. Just move it first before cutting and see what happens with the top. Don't cut first like I did.

-- Jeff

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Like Jeff said, you should only cut between the mount point and the first joint. Cutting any of the smaller sections will change the geometry and cause the cover to not be tight.

Terry

Utahboatnut

If you went straight down from its current windshield location would that be too much? or even if you moved it toward the stern an inch or two would that work? you could easily bow it out a bit to make it clear the glass when folded they usually make them with 4 inches of allowance per side 2in or 2out. Otherwise I would say cut the ploe that attaches to the windshield as much as you can and the rear poles and see what that nets you, Being on a 45 deg you will only get about half the drop that you cut off. I say better a bit too tall than having to duck under every time. It gets old quick if you are doing alot of watersports etc. where you arent just sitting/standing at the helm the whole time. Remove the rear pole bolts and the windshield mount bolts, leave it all togather and get some help for a few and hold it on the fiberglass(with a rag under it) and see if it will work for you, if not you will need to have it off anyway to do any cutting. Also the hinged or flat mounts you would need will raise it almost an inch as well. If you have a flat area you could reuse the ones on the windshield(unless they are rivited on) which I doubt, then just fill the holes with alum silicone and then you wont have to worry about the cover stressing on the windshield mounts.

MTribe08

If you went straight down from its current windshield location would that be too much?

I think thats going to bring it down way too much, but I'll check it out.

Otherwise I would say cut the pole that attaches to the windshield as much as you can and the rear poles and see what that nets you, Being on a 45 deg you will only get about half the drop that you cut off.
I think this is what I'm going to do...Might only lower it a little bit, but thats ok I guess. It just seems really tall right now.

MTribe08

Like Jeff said, you should only cut between the mount point and the first joint. Cutting any of the smaller sections will change the geometry and cause the cover to not be tight.

Terry

Ok, thanks.