Shortening a Power Drive 40

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I,m retired and new to this fishing thing and am setting up a 1236 Crestliner for my wife and I to lake fish for trout and bass. I aquired a seldom used Minn Kota Power Drive 40 to mount on the bow. (9.9 OB on the transom). The Minn Kota has a 48" shaft and looks absolutely goofy on that little boat. I would like to shorten it up to a length that is a little more reasonable but I would prefer not destroying the long shaft as I may end up giving it to my son and he will need the extra length on his boat.

The question is can the shaft be removed from the motor end?? I assume I can buy a piece of tube to make a shorter shaft.

Also I an curious what vintage this thing is. It has the "Maximizer" feature and the number on it starts with MPAA. I don't have it here to give you the serial #. Thanks for your help!

Jim

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shortening a Power Drive 40

I would leave it alone and let it look goofy, Jim. I think 48" was the shortest shaft they offered on the PD.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No -- you cannot shorten the motor end because thats where the threads are that secure the shaft to the motor. You must also have the same diameter tube as the turning and height adjustment clamp must fit tightly around the shaft. I think those are straight threads on the end of the shaft so a standard pipe thread would not work. You could buy a new shaft and cut it to whatever length you want. Remove the head, disconnect the wires and then remove the existing tube. You then run the new wires up the tube, attach the tube to the motor and reassemble the head. You obviously need to make sure everything is all sealed up again, especially where the shaft goes into the motor.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Another option, sell it, and buy a transom mounted troller, so you can drive.
You don't want your wife driving, do you? 8)

Or do as JB suggested, let it look goofy.

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Silvertip,

You almost, kinda, sort of answered my question (-:

The issues of tubing diameter and wiring are easily delt with, I am specifically interested in knowing the procedure for removing the tube from the motor end. I have access to what ever tubing I might need here locally. I am also curious how old it is.

If noone has removed one of these tubes l will call Minn Kota if they have a tech support line and find out.

Jim

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

roscoe said:
Another option, sell it, and buy a transom mounted troller, so you can drive.
You don't want your wife driving, do you? 8)

Or do as JB suggested, let it look goofy.

Naw, with the 18 foot powercord, all he has to do is teach his wife to stow and deploy the TM. Though, even that could be tough. 8)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The shaft is threaded into the motor housing. Wires run up the tube to the head where connections to the outside harness are made. You can remove the head, disconnect the wires, cut the tube, and reassemble everything. The tube is not metal and is very forgiving if you strike a log, rock or some other underwater obstruction. Metal tubing which doesn't flex much will result in a bent shaft or possibly other damage in the deployment mechanism. I would tend to stick with the existing shaft (shortened) and then if and when you no longer need the motor replace the shaft with the original or even longer one if necessary.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a 12' MFG with the same setup! It will take some getting used to, but it is best to leave it as is....

jauguston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I called Minn Kota. A very helpful lady said the tube is threaded into the motor front cap and held with red loctite. Heat the housing around where the tube goes in with a heat gun to remove it. A replacement 48" tube costs $26.00. She also told me with a serial number starting with MKAA it was a 2000 model. I am going to cut it off.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

jauguston said:
I called Minn Kota. A very helpful lady said the tube is threaded into the motor front cap and held with red loctite. Heat the housing around where the tube goes in with a heat gun to remove it. A replacement 48" tube costs $26.00. She also told me with a serial number starting with MKAA it was a 2000 model. I am going to cut it off.

So your saying that I could change a 48" to a 54" by buying a new tube? I am about to buy a 48" 50# powerdrive, and although I know it will work, I may want a 54 to fish in some rough water when we have the lake to ourselves.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only issue might be whether or not the wires are long enough that run from the head down the tube to the motor.