Shock from plug wire on cylinder #1

rendog3

Cadet
Finally got boat in the water...running good..except(why is there always an except with the Force(1990 120hp)). When running on the muffs, when my hand would touch #1 plug wire I would get a shock...no shock on any other cylinder.<br /><br />Other than that, motor ran up to 5300rpms strong with no stalls at idle(looks like decarb works).<br /><br />Any thoughts on the shock from #1 plug wire, or is this somewhat normal?<br /><br />Thanks for all the help.

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shock from plug wire on cylinder #1

bad plug wire you become the path of least resistance

rendog3

Cadet

thanks jimr...<br /><br />the inside of the plug boot is a bit rusty, I will tried to clean as best I can...what do you think about putting some dielectric grease in the boot? <br /><br />Other than replace the coil, any other alternatives....think it will be ok to run for another 2mths for striper season before changing coil?<br /><br />thanks.

beach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Plug wire insulation may have a hole allowing the spark to jump thru. Not really a problem unless it finds a way to ground robbing that cylinder of spark. Doesent sound like any problem with coil, just replace wire if you like.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about covering the lead with RTV? Get it at any auto store, Kmart,Sears etc. At least that would waterproof it. Is your lead an integral part of the coil. Mine is but it's an old 1970 mag model.

rendog3

Cadet

the lead is built into the coil...so not so simple to just change plug wire. other than RTV, any other ideas...insulating tape?