Shifting Problems

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
UNCLE!!!!
I freely admit it..IAM a DUMB OLD OKIE!!!! I've been working on this shifter for over a week and I give up!!!! I'm calling on all iBoaters to help me out. I can NOT for the life of me figure it out. I've had it apart 50 times. I'm an EXPERT at replacing the spring and ball bearing and if you've ever worked on one of these controls you'll know what I'm talking about!!!! :D I've replaced all the broken parts (#95 Shift Gear was told it was the most common since it's plastic) and have poured over the schematic to ensure that it's all there. It appears to work as it should but..I can't get the motor to shift and throttle as it should. With the cables off, I can manually shift the motor into forward or reverse with ease!!!! I have posted the pic of the connections as they were when I got the motor but Like I said I am a dumb okie and did not pay attention to what cable went where. But I've tried em both on both places and it still does not seem to work. I am totally bumfuzzled!!!!

This is the shifter that I have...

Can someone tell me which cable goes on which connection in the control box and then where it goes on the motor. I thought that the cable that attached to the shift lever that has the gear teeth would attach to the shift lever on the motor and the cable that attached to the warm up lift lever in the control box would attach to the throttle lever on the motor, but it actually seems to work better the opposite way but neither way totally works. The first way will allow me to shift into forward but neither way allows me to shift into reverse. I have adjusted the cable so that the motor LOOKS just like the picture which is how it was when it was WORKING before I took it apart to rebuild the carbs and change the cables and fix the broken gear lever in the control box. I'm really not understanding why it won't work. When I try to shift to reverse it either is totally stuck and won't move at all or when I pull back into reverse it will actually move the cable forward and put it in forward gear which means somehow inside the control box its reverseing the travel of the cable. Very Strange. If anyone out there has this setup and has worked on it I really need your help. I'm losing sleep AND HAIR!!!!

Here's the pic of the motor attachments...

I really want to splash her again and see how she performs. The motor runs GREAT!!!!!

HELP!!!

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
I know less about controls than you do, but seeing how no one has responded, yet...I am going to put on my troubleshooting detective hat and try to go through some obvious steps to try and help you figure this out...

Step 1: Disconnect both cables from the engine.
Step 2: Using only the warm up lever, move it up and down and note which cable moves. It should only move the throttle cable and probably only a small fraction of the full throttle travel available...
Step 3: If possible, Move the shift lever forward without disengaging the lock out bar. Note which cable moves. Should only move the same throttle cable, only throughout its entire range....
Step 4: Repeat step 3 except in reverse. Note which cable moves. Again, should only move the throttle cable in the same direction as before.
Step 5: If steps 3 and 4 are not possible: Depress the lock out bar and move the lever forward into forward gear. Note which cable moves. The shift cable should begin to move first and it should be the other cable, then the throttle cable should begin to move in the same direction as when moving the warm up lever...this would cause the engine to shift into gear, then the throttle should begin to open...
Step 6: repeat step 5 except in reverse. This time the shift cable should move in the opposite direction and the throttle cable should continue moving in the same direction as before...
Make all moves, forward and backward complete and as far as the shift handle will go...
If any of the above does not function correctly, something is installed incorrectly in the shift box.
At which point you will need to remove the cover and visually inspect the interior assembly while performing the above steps...
Obviously this may be difficult to do without having parts flying out everywhere, but it is the only way my caveman brain could even begin to figure out what is wrong...
I am not sure if it is possible to install some part in the control box backwards, but from your description, that sounds like what is going on...
Keep in mind, the only time the two cables should be moving in opposite directions from each other is in Reverse...The rest of the time, when in forward, they should move in the same direction...
Another thing to keep in mind is that the shift cable will only move a small amount in either direction, while the throttle cable must travel a larger arc to be able to control the engine rpms...

Good Luck and I hope you get this figured out...
Don't get too frustrated and tear out any more hair, it will only lead to baldness...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
GT I appreciate your reply. I've done exactly what you've described. As the picture indicates the cable that attaches to the warm up lever and the cable that attaches to the shift lever are what's causing me heartburn. I don't actually know for sure which cable hooks to which lever on the motor. I THINK the cable on the Warmup lever actually hooks to the shift lever on the motor and the cable on the shift lever hooks to the throttle lever on the motor. However when I do that It will only shift into forward but not into reverse. the throttle does seem to work correctly with this configuration however. the shift lever has teeth and well as the wheel on the shift arm and I am not sure as to the correct alignment but since it has to be aligned for the neutral shift I'm fairly certain I have it installed correctly. I just wish I had the service manual or could speak with someone who's actually worked on setting one of these up before. I know it can't be THAT hard but it is if you don't KNOW the settings.