Shifting Problems on Alpha Gen 2

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
1998 Alpha 1 gen 2 Merc. 5.0L ( with shift assist assembly?)

I changed the shift bellow and therefore had to remove the shift cable. Everything is back in place. When you push in on the drive shift cable using the cable end, the prop is locked when turned CCW. When you pull the drive shift cable end , the prop is locked when turned CW. Good.

I read Don's post about the kill switch. It says that the kill switch only works when the prop is under load, not when boat is on muffs/trailer, only when moving the throttle from forward to neutral and from reverse to neutral.

Now I am having problems on this kill switch and when putting the gear both in forward and reverse while on trailer. It used to work OK on muffs, I was able to shift to 1/4 forward and make the prop turn while engine is on idle speed, and same thing with reverse. But now I have to push forward the throttle a little beyond the 1/4 way, the engine running faster than idle. and also now the engine dies when going reverse.

anyone has the factory manual about adjusting the entire shift mechanism?

Among others ( sorry but i am using seloc), it says that the drive cable end has to be 6" to the barrel. That's easy. Other issues too many to post.

Anyone has the relevant factory manual? Thanks.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Shifting Problems on Alpha Gen 2

hello.

i couldnt open your adobe file even with my 9.0 version installed. you have an older version?

i have been tinkering with this shift mechanism for 3 weekends and i still cant get it and labor day is just around the corner. so frustrating!!!! all these mechanisms look so simple but so freaking precise with the cables and kill switch.

thank you.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Ok- i got the file. thank you again. i hope to be able to make this work.

all i had to do was change the antiquated shift bellow and now everything is screwed.

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

bt doctor - thank you!! i fixed the problem within 30 minutes from your detailed manual.