shifting problems,I think

weshalsall

Cadet
Just bought a 1989 stratos 21' with a 460 and cobra outdrive. the guy i bought it from said they replaced the shift cable last season and did not put it back in the water since. I put it in today and it went in reverse then i went to put it back in forward it was kinda tight, but it went in and the boat just reved up, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: shifting problems,I think

IF the cable was installed correctly, it's probably out of adjustment. Might try disconnecting the lower shift cable at the engine and see if you can shift fwd, rev, and neutral by hand moving just the cable. Then at least you will know if it will shift.

weshalsall

Cadet

Thanks for the input. I just hope thats all thats wrong with it. this boat runs to good and looks to good to be sitting in my yard.

zbnutcase

Commander

"they" meaning who replaced cable? Owner? A shop? If shop did it and let it leave without testing it, its their problem to fix, not yours. Was it really even replaced? First rule of boat buying: Don't believe anything the owner tells you. And a model number posted would help too.