shifting problem

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 77 mercruiser boat with a 3.0 engine and an mr outdrive.I adjusted the lower shift cable per mercstuff forum.It shifted good forward-reverse neutral on the muffs at home.I took it to the lake this afternoon.I started it tryed to back up all I got was forward.Even in neutral was still idling forward.I came home disconneted lower shift cable pushed it in and prop locked when turning ccw.I pulled the cable out and It never did lock the prop clockwise.What I am wanting to know is this the lower cable or is it something deeper. Is there anyway to check it for sure without taking it all apart. thank you phil

Bondo

Staff member
Re: shifting problem

I adjusted the lower shift cable per mercstuff forum.

Ayuh,... Why were you Adjusting it,..?? Was it Just replaced,..??

If Not,... It probably Needs it...

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

The reason I was adjusting it was it would not go into reverse.

ziggy

Admiral

next step i'd think would be to remove the drive. see if it shifts on the bench. assuming it does. bondo is likely right. R&R the shift cable. i know when i got my 75 boat, i needed a shift cable R&R. it's not uncommon. do you know if the cables ever been replaced before. assuming not. it's problably time to..

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

I dont know if shift cable has ever been replaced.I went down under outdrive and I shifted it straight head for forward-right for neutral.Could not get it to shift into reverse.I have lower shift drive disconnected

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The shift cables do not suddenly go out of adjustment, they go bad. As the cable wears inside, more slop in the cable movement develops and eventually it won't go into gear all the way. Time to replace the cable.

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

I dont know whether lower shift cable has been replaced or not.I got under the outdrive and shifted it manually with shift cable disconnected.I shift it right for neutral-straight ahead for forward but could not shift to the left for reverse.What does this mean?Could it still be shift cable or something wore out? thanks phil

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

I dont know if the shift cable has beeb replaced or not.I got under outdrive and shifted it manually.I shifted it right for neutral-center for forward-and could not shift it left for reverse.What does this mean?could it still be shift cable or something else?What do you have to pull to check it the whole outdrive? thanks phil Where do you shift after you get it off

Bondo

Staff member

What do you have to pull to check it the whole outdrive?

Ayuh,... The Outdrive,... Then shift it using the shift-foot...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The left and right have me confused
if you were to look at a clock face ,
fwd: 1200 shoes are straight
neu: 1100 slightly left
rev: 10:30 all the way left

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

Yes that is the way it is.One guy said the shifter in neutral to right of center for neutral- forward straight ahead and to the left for reverse.Buy mine is like you said thanks phil

phil rogers

Seaman Apprentice

Yes that is the way it is.One guy said the shifter in neutral to right of center for neutral- forward straight ahead and to the left for reverse.Buy mine is like you said thanks phil