Shifting linkage

ksab99

Cadet
I have a 1978 35 hp Chrysler outboard with a remote gear shift/speed control.<br />I had to replace the water pump so I did, but now I cannot seem to get the shifting adjustment in the right place , I can get forward and neutral or reverse and neutral. when I get the adjustment in the middle the engine speed advances before the motor shifts into forward or reverse. I have checked inside to make sure the shifting rod is still connected and it is. So if anyone can help that would be great. It seems that this should be easy but its not...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shifting linkage

Welcome to iboats, KSAB.<br />Does this linkage exit the leg on the port side,and have a long nut with two lock nuts,on the two threaded shafts?<br />If so, place the shifter into neutral. See to it, that the catch at the engine end of the cable is in the neutral is in the catch, or cog.<br />rotate the prop in both directions.If you can't, or it "clicks", you will need to then adjust that long nut ,lengthening or shortening it until the prop turns freely in both directions (without clicking). Once you have that,tighten the lock nuts onto the long nut, and re-check the prop, to make sure nothing moved when you locked them down.

ksab99

Cadet
Re: Shifting linkage

12Footer,<br />Thanks for the reply.<br />It does have a adjustment nut on the side of the motor that connects the two rods. I can get neutral with no problem its the forward and reverse part that don't seem to work. I looked in the repair book (clymer I think) and it said to make sure the movement between forward and reverse are the same distance from neutral and that is where the problem is ( I think)the forward position has alot more shifting space than reverse has before the engine starts to accel.