Shifting issues

capthook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am having a few issues with shifting back into neutral while in gears. This is a 1973 mercruiser 140 with the pre alpha drive or mr drive. Here is what I have for you all. When I shift into gear there is no problem but when I got back to neutral of reverse it is so hard that I actually broke my remote bracket. When the boat is off I can go in and out of gear so nice and easy. What gives....shift interrupter switch, linkage binding up, bad cables. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Shifting issues

capthook said:
I am having a few issues with shifting back into neutral while in gears. This is a 1973 mercruiser 140 with the pre alpha drive or mr drive. Here is what I have for you all. When I shift into gear there is no problem but when I got back to neutral of reverse it is so hard that I actually broke my remote bracket. When the boat is off I can go in and out of gear so nice and easy. What gives....(a)shift interrupter switch, (b)linkage binding up, (c)bad cables. Please let me know your thoughts on this issue. Thanks in advance

Ayuh,........

I'm Guessing it's (a) or (c).........

Probably (c),.... The Lower Shift Cable..........

Or,..... Maybe (a),...... might be a Broken Wire....Or Bad Ground......

Re: Shifting issues

I was just searching the forum and foud Cathook's post from Aug. 06 regarding the shifter binding up when going into reverse. This is the exact same problem I am having now with my 1988 Searay.
Did you ever define the problem? Please let me know.
Thanks!