Shift shaft pin removal?? classic fifty

Dotong

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
in trying to remove my lower unit and to rule out the shift shaft isnt holding it im trying to disconnect the shift shaft at the top. its a mercury classic fifty and just under the bottom carb is a small pin through the shaft in the most awkward place. How do i remove it?? do you hammer it out?? the engine block is in the way of the pin at the back??

cheers

DLB68

Cadet
Re: Shift shaft pin removal?? classic fifty

PLEASE DON"T Hammer ... if you are removing the lower unit make sure you have the hidden bolt removed ( kiekhaefer models ) it is inside a small hole at the outer most tip of the lower unit . removal will require an allan (sp) wrench . once the allan screw is loosened the small fin with holes in it will begin to drop down . revealing the water inlet for the water pump ..this and a 5 / 8 inch nut in the center of the underside of the lower unit top fin directly behind the prop blades , & 2 nuts on the outside of the lower unit which are clearly visible .. IF you are needing to remove the shift shaft for maintenance ..a manual or service center is your best bet .

Dotong

Seaman Apprentice

im sure i have taken all the bolts off. theres the one that holds the trim tab and one inside where the trim tab was, one behind the prop and two on the side. i cant see what else could hold it. the shaft is stainless and has been soaking in diesel for two days at the crank and it still wont budge!! i only need to take it off for impeller!!

cheers

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Try to gently pry up on the shift shaft arm. it should move easily, as they usually do not seize. The driveshafts are the ones that seize in the crankshaft.