Shift rod disconnect, 1973 6hp rude?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
My old evinrude 6 has just been returned to me from storage in my dad's garage. Don't have a boat for it, just I thought I'd clean it up & crank it up. Hasn't been cranked since, maybe 1985. Far as I know, it's still got the original impeller, but I cannot for the life of me find the shift rod disconnect.

Thanks!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Shift rod disconnect, 1973 6hp rude?

Shift into reverse,remove the bolts holding the lower unit on and drop it down as far as it will go, maybe 1 1/2 or 2 inches, look inside and you will see the brass shift connector. Try and remove the upper connector bolt and that should let it come down.

markjohnson71

Recruit

Thanks Daviet. I had the same question and you already answered it. Great forum!!
Regards
Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks Daviet. I had the same question and you already answered it. Great forum!!
Regards
Mark

But he didn't tell the whole story. Here is the rest: Before you begin, remove the spark plugs and ground the leads. As you lower the gearcase, there is a pin through the top end of the drive shaft that has to come down through a slot. So, as you lower it, slowly rotate the flywheel till the pin aligns with the slot and allows it to come on down. Once you get it off, note the position of the pin so you can put it back the same way. Also, do not rotate the flywheel while the lower unit is off--for the same reason.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Great post, F R.

I've changed impellers on OMC 6hp motors a bunch of times and have never removed the spark plug wires. I feel like I just had a "duh moment."

If I get anywhere near the blade on my lawn mower, I pull the plug wire, even though it has an ignition ground feature that works via a bar on the handle. I do this because I know of a wonderfull piano plyer who lost four fingers on one of his hands, because he was fiddling with a lawn mower blade and didn't pull the plug wire.

I do the same thing if I am removing or installing a prop on an outboard, but I just never thought of it in regard to dropping the gearcase. Your advice is excellent and I thank you for it.

???

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Great post, F R.

I've changed impellers on OMC 6hp motors a bunch of times and have never removed the spark plug wires. I feel like I just had a "duh moment."

If I get anywhere near the blade on my lawn mower, I pull the plug wire, even though it has an ignition ground feature that works via a bar on the handle. I do this because I know of a wonderfull piano plyer who lost four fingers on one of his hands, because he was fiddling with a lawn mower blade and didn't pull the plug wire.

I do the same thing if I am removing or installing a prop on an outboard, but I just never thought of it in regard to dropping the gearcase. Your advice is excellent and I thank you for it.

???

Thanks for pointing that out, J. Even though I am guilty of failing to observe safety precautions too. Actually, the reason for removing the spark plugs in this case is to eliminate compression so it doesn't "hop" from one position to another, making it easy to align the pin with the slot. But the safety precaution still applies. Thanks.