Shift rod bushing for 57'fastwin 18hp

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
While I was checking the drive and shift rods for any slack I found that the o-ring and bushing for the shift rod is worn out which would account for some of the water I have found in the gear case. The problem is that the bushing (made of brass) is no longer being made. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these? The motor is a 57' fastwin 18hp (model # 15020-19224)and the part number for the bushing is 301878 according to my marine shop. I found one in Texas that would cost me $38.50 before taxes. Also, how hard is it to change myself? I know that I can grind the threads down a little on a bolt that is just bigger that the opening in the bushing and then just thread it in and pop it out using a slide hammer. But how hard would it be fore me to get back in? <br />Thanks :cool: <br />Thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift rod bushing for 57'fastwin 18hp

Probably no need to get another bushing Wizard. There is an oring and plastic washer inside the bushing. I would check around at the local shops and see if any of them would change the oring out for you. Just take in the empty gear case. Shouldn't take no more than 15 minutes.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Could it be done without removing the bushing, if so I can get the oring out, I actually thought about doing just that :cool:

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

No Wizard....the bushing must be removed to replace the oring and washer.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Getting it out is most the work. Putting it back in takes no time or real effort. <br /><br />Some folks will tap it out a bit with a 5/16" course tap, thread in a bolt, and then bang the bolt & bushing out together. That damages the bushing a bit but apparently not enough to cause any sort of problem.<br />Of course, a peice of 5/16" threaded rod can be used to drive it out in the normal way.<br />I thought that gearcase uses the same bushing as all the others (.676"OD, .255"ID, .575" tall with the space for the o-ring). That one goes for something like $6, and is very common. Pull the one you've got and compare. I'll bet 301878 superceeds to it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It is hard to believe how prices are different in different parts of the country.I got one for my '57 35 horse just last year for all of $3.50.There should be plenty available.for the '57 engines there are 2 sizes.The 18 horse engine has a smaller gearcase than the 35 and I think it uses the smaller one.<br />They are easy to remove.Just take the gearcase apart and remove the shift rod.Plug the hole and let it soak in penetrating oil overnight(often this is unneccesary)Use a piece of rod that is bigger than the hole in the bushing and with the top part of the gearcase on a piece of wood you can give it a good whack,from the top downward.That is usually enough to loosen it up.Then just tap it out.No big deal.They normally come out undamaged.replace the o-ring and smear some evinrude gasket making compound (the stuff that does not dry up or harden)on the bushing and put it back inside.<br />Good luck.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, I think that sense I am not in a big rush I will take the long way and attempt to drive the bushing out from the bottom of the gearcase. If I do mess it up I'll check on the one that you mentioned Paul Moir. Oh, one more question. The guys at my marine supply store said that there was only one oring under the bushing and nothing else, it that true?<br />Thanks

Paul Moir

Admiral

That's what I see on my parts diagram. Some do have a washer there too though. <br />So that's the difference, one's a bit smaller. Later on they changed the lower units to all use the same one.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

One more thing. Make sure that the bushing goes back in,exactly the way it came out.If my memory serves me well,the cavity and the bushing are just a bit cone shaped,to the point where it is very hard to see.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, if mine has the washer do I need to get a replacement or will the one o-ring do the trick?<br /> I did a little more research after reading your answers. I went to ishopmarine.com http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmCcatViewBase.jsp?reqFor=29&req4Browse=1&lvlCode=5&pCode=C0215480&path=BMC~A0000021~M0011761~M0011791~M0011794~C0215480&isForSupStore=fal se&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=<br /> and to BRP part catalog http://epc.brp.com/default.aspx?brands=ej&lang=E <br />I looked at years from 1968 ( the earliest one they have a diagram for) to 1981 and found they all use part #0304765. How different from the part I am neediing for my '57? :cool:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have actually found that if you run a 5/16th tap through the bushing it "knurls" the ID thus tigtening up some of the slop. that and it gives a surface to thread a bolt to for driving the busing out with a 1/4 rod or you can use all thread a large washer and a nut and draw the bushing out.<br /> but I cant imagine that bushing as NLA. however I hear BRP is not supporting a lot of old OMC stuff.<br />cant blame them for that, they are in business to make money and if you have a part you have to have the administration and warehouse staff that draws a salary to support it. that 6 dollar part will cost the company 12 dollars if it sits on the shelf to long.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am going to try to remove the busing without damaging it so I can reuse it. Can someone tell me whether or not a bushing from other year model motors (#0304765) will replace the part number (#301787) that my marine dealer gave me? :cool: <br />Thanks

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Weel guys, I ground down a 5/16 all thread to fit, set it in place and hit it one time with some athority then tapped it 3 times and guess what, the bushing fell right out. I checked it out after cleaning it up and no damage. So I cleaned out the hole, put the new oring in and tapped the bushing back in with no problems. Thanks for the tips guys, worked great. I now have one more question for future reference. What is the difference between the 57' bushing and the 68-81' bushings?. Is it a size difference?<br />Thanks