shift problems

mlryan

Seaman
have a mid 70's 888 mercruiser stern drive and am having problems getting the lower unit to shift.Took boat it worked fine going out. When we started it up to come back in for the day the engine satrted back up no problem, but we couldnt get the boat to shift into drive and had to get towed back in. Removed lower unit to investagate and decided to install new gaskets, water pump impeller, and seals. Put the whole thing back together and still cant get the lower unit to shift at all even out of the water. Cheked the lower unit and there are no metal flakes in the oil or on the magnet plug. When we had the lower unit off we could shift the lower unit by hand no problem in forward and in reverse. Our wives keep laughing at us because every time we take the boat out we have another problem with it. I want to make them laugh no more. Anybody got any suggestions as to what the problem might be. Tried adjusting the shift cable at the shift lever on top of the engine and the shift cable is not long enough to push the shift lever until the clutch dog engages. I dont know whats goin on.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: shift problems

Can you move the shift cable freely with it disconnected from the drive? It sounds like you have a worn shift cable.

mlryan

Seaman

shift cable moves fine it just is not long enough to push the lever to the point of engagement. I adjusted the cable to the maximum length and its 2 inches shy of pushing the lever where it needs to be to engage the clutch dog. Unless there is some way that i put the lower unit back on incorrectly. I dont think its the shift cable also because its looks fairly new

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

See if this helps.<br />(This is taken from Merc Stuff)<br /><br />
shiftcable.jpg

mlryan

Seaman

When putting the lower unit back on is there anything that needs to be done to the lowe unit before reassembly? does the shift lever have to be in a certain orientation? does the shift post on the lower unit have to be in gear?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

When putting on the lower unit be sure to have everything in forward gear - the shifter at the control box and the lower unit itself. That way everything is lined up correctly when it is reinstalled. The link above has detailed instructions for most anything you want to do. (Not to run you off of this forum of cource ;) , but the basics are covered well at the Merc Stuff site)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Turn the prop ccw & the shift shaft cw until they engage, this is foreward, and you can't let it disengage before the upper & lower are together......Use the procedure outlined by Mark and you should be good to go. If not you have a cable problem, and it needs to be replaced....JK