shift linkage adjustment

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Post a picture of the shift lever ON THE ENGINE when motor is in nuetral.------That lever should be vertical or near vertical.----You might be 5000 miles away, without clear pictures no help is available !

remain curious, so would like to see that too. Think I would like to see a pic of the control box with lever or levers in neutral and idle, warm up lever off -- with pics of motor linkages in same positions (idle and neutral). Show cable ends in relation to motor linkages, as in current pic.

(oh, and engine model number). Thanks

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
First I would like say thank-you for all the responses.
The picture I posted from the start is with the motor linkage in neutral. The control box is also in neutral. the adjustment on the cable end is out as far as possible.. The shortfall is about 3/4 inch..I don't know how to make the pic more clear.will post a pic of the control box.thx again

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
might have the throttle and shift cables reversed at the engine. Model number?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The shift lever on the motor is NOT shown in your previous picture !----The shift lever is the one that goes under the bottom carburetor.---That is why another picture should be posted ---Sorry if you misunderstood.

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
The shift lever on the motor is NOT shown in your previous picture !----The shift lever is the one that goes under the bottom carburetor.---That is why another picture should be posted ---Sorry if you misunderstood.

Sorry..I'll get a pic of that..

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Ok..I have a couple more pics..hope they help.

Attachments

• photo236135.jpg
    photo236135.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 0

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
Wouldn't let me load other pic..here's the model # J225TXCED...1989 Johnson 225

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
Shift lever pic not to great..but it looks to be sitting about the 11:00 position..shift rod height adjustment needed?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One last chance here.--You have now posted a picture of the shift rod connecter and the pin that connects the rod .--No help at all.---Post a picture on the other side of this to answer this question.----Is the arm on the motor shift lever vertical or near vertical with the gearbox in nuetral ??

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
Can't get that pic to load..shift lever is near vertical but slightly off..bottom of lever at approx less than 7:00 position..more like 6:30..throttle is straight up and down..will try again to load pic.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Correct me if I'm missing it: top/outboard lever is throttle, and bottom/inboard lever is shift.

[ed. The top cable has more adjustment left, based on your earlier pic. It may be the longer of the two cables. If you need a longer cable for the shifter, consider switching out cables. Would want to be sure first that the connectors/cables haven't mistakenly been switched at the motor.]

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Just undo the lock nut on the red cable end.---Turn and adjust the red cable end untill you are satified it is shifting correctly.---Now you are done and ready to go.

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
Correct me if I'm missing it: top/outboard lever is throttle, and bottom/inboard lever is shift.

[ed. The top cable has more adjustment left, based on your earlier pic. It may be the longer of the two cables. If you need a longer cable for the shifter, consider switching out cables. Would want to be sure first that the connectors/cables haven't mistakenly been switched at the motor.]

You're correct throttle is outer..they haven't been switched..shift cable is adjusted all the way out..I'll check to see if throttle gives more adjustment and maybe switch to get more travel..thx

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is this an old two lever morse controller that is installed in your house boat? One lever was shift and the other throttle? If so it may requires a different cable end.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
hmmm. appears to be 33/3300 cable with correct fittings -- not sure what controller is used or what connectors on that end (presumably working).

Might be suggesting that another Morse style connector might be longer, maybe the extra 3/4 inch or so that is needed. I know there are shorter ones (I have some of those).

mjharley

Seaman Apprentice
hmmm. appears to be 33/3300 cable with correct fittings -- not sure what controller is used or what connectors on that end (presumably working).

Might be suggesting that another Morse style connector might be longer, maybe the extra 3/4 inch or so that is needed. I know there are shorter ones (I have some of those).

I thought that..went to West Marine looking for a longer connected..no luck..

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
might be 3/4 inch or so adjustment left at the cable box end of the shift cable. On cable lengths -- think throttle cables are usually a little longer than shift cables, as the throttle is typically on the left side in older motors. So might find your throttle cable is indeed a little longer. If opening the box to switch them, could check to see if the cable end adjustment would do it for you (shift cable). Whatever is easiest....

Good new year to you. (Good boating.)