Shift Issue Mercruiser I/O

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 73 MerCruiser I Stern Drive attaching to a Inline GM 120HP.

I recently (yesterday) replaced the shift cable.

After putting everything back togehter, I was testing the cable by pulling it out all the way to lock the prop (in reverse). I noticed that the bottom shaft (in attached photo) drops down, almost to the point of no contact. That seems to make the gears not lock into reverse. It kinda clunks like it did before replacing the shift cable.

Please see attached photo for better understanding of what i mean.

Anyone know why this would be doing this?

Can i just wire them together? Or is this normal?

Let me know if you need any additional Information...

Thanks!
~JR

Attachments

• shifter link edited.JPG
    shifter link edited.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 0

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Shift Issue Mercruiser I/O

I just read another related thread at the bottom of the page after posting this. It looked simular and said that there is supposed to be a washer to hold that up into place. This washer apparently comes off easily when the stern drive is removed and turned on its side (like i did yesterday while replacing the shift cable)

Is this my golden answer?

Any additional advise or help?

Thanks
~ JR

zbnutcase

Commander

It would be the first place to look, and no, you can't wire them together.

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks!

Does anyone have a link to a useful manual for this? (the one my Grandfather gave me is kinda a "pile") Or Is it as easy as it sounds: Just drop the lower section case and find and replace the washer into the correct spot.

I'm a noob with boat mechanics although it is getting easier to understand what people are saying :)

Thanks Again!
~ JR

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

It would be the first place to look, and no, you can't wire them together.
I figured i couldn't wire them together, but had to ask :) Thanks for the assurance i couldn't just rig it...

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Happens often enough that I copied the picture from the manual a awhile back:

shiftshaftwasher.jpg

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep, I did this too. There the washer was laying on my floor.

Please check your quad o-ring when you seperate the two halves. It also likes to fall out.

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, I did this too. There the washer was laying on my floor.

Please check your quad o-ring when you seperate the two halves. It also likes to fall out.
What is the quad o-ring?

I think I need to find a exploded diagram of the parts for this out drive... That would probably help a bunch :)

Also does anyone know what type of Gear-oil i should use when i am all done and ready to re-fill this thing back up?

Thanks again everyone... This site is a lifesaver!
~ JR

The quad o-ring is between the two halves on the starboard side just about in the middle.. It seals the oil passage between the two halves which the lube travels thru to fill the upper. It is here:

Attachments

• quad o-ring noted.JPG
    quad o-ring noted.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 0

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Also does anyone know what type of Gear-oil i should use when i am all done and ready to re-fill this thing back up?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You will get a lot of opinions... here's mine. I like the Mercruiser / Quicksilver High Performance Gear Lube. It is "the green stuff." You will need a little more than a quart.

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

I don't have the shift cable attached to the control cable at all at the molment... (it's all connected in the outdrive but not the other end, but it is still in the forward position :) ) Do i need to conect that, or can i simply push the cable in (mimicing forward gear) and then attach the lower and upper sections of the outdrive back together?

My plan was to just drop the lower section of the outrive and check inside for washer put back on give everything a glance over and put back together test and reconnect everything inside the boat after.

Is this a "bad" idea / plan?

And thanks for the diagram! I really appriciate everyone's patients and helpfulness!

~ JR

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

can i simply push the cable in (mimicing forward gear) and then attach the lower and upper sections of the outdrive back together?

My plan was to just drop the lower section of the outrive and check inside for washer put back on give everything a glance over and put back together test and reconnect everything inside the boat after.

Sounds like a plan!:) Just make sure that the lower ss is turned all the way clockwise and you are good to go.:D

JR74CJ5

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Again Stoney

I can't wait to get off work and try this out...

Registration all paid, new paint... Gotta get on the water!!
:cool:

~ JR