shift interrupter - sorry, I know, another thread

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having shifting issues for over a year now, and was sure I narrowed it down to the shif interrupter switch. However, after replacing it, I'm having the same issue. Old switch actually tested fine.

Merc 350 mag with Alpha one.

So, I want to verify that if I manually close the switch, it should stall the engine (right), mine does nothing when I manually close it. Tested with a multi meter, and it is definitely functioning. So I'm assuming its somewhere further down the line.

Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help, sorry to make you read another shift interrupter post, but I have read every thread I can find and still am at a loss.

FishHog

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: shift interrupter - sorry, I know, another thread

so it should ground and kill the motor correct?

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys, I thougth so, but wanted to verify.
Now I can continue to trouble shoot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What kind of shifting problem are you having? Lots of people falsely start replacing the switch and adjusting because the engine dies when shifting. Which only means the switch IS working.

FishHog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What kind of shifting problem are you having? Lots of people falsely start replacing the switch and adjusting because the engine dies when shifting. Which only means the switch IS working.

I'm struggling with shifting back into neutral. I've replaced the lower shift cable before I put the outdrive back on this spring hoping that was the issue. Still, I basically end up going back into reverse than into neutral.

I believed it was the switch as it does not kill my engine when I manually close it. However that was not the issue at all, and the old and the new switch I bought do the same thing.

I'm thinking it must be in the wiring going back to the coil, but was hoping for some confirmation before I get into that part.