shift connector trunion

billyt

Seaman
I've got a 1975 115Evinrude v4, model 115593. I was having a problem with not shifting cleanly into forward--reverse, no problem. I am trying to find the right adjustment for the shift cable. It seems there aren't enough threads to tighten the connector far enough. The bell crank screw that attaches the shift rod connector keeps backing out. I tightened it up and it worked for several days. Now it's back out again and I can't seem to find the "sweet spot". Any ideas on how to keep that bell screw in, and how to find the proper alignment for the cable? I've tried moving the sleeve back and forth to find the center of play, and adjusted the trunion both ways, but can't seem to find center so the motor will shift cleanly. thanks,<br />blt

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift connector trunion

Hey blt....if the shift cable keeps losing adjustment around the trunion, most likely the trunion is striped out some and can't keep the adjustment.<br /><br />Setting the shift ain't hard. Put the shift lever on the engine and control in the neutral postion. Spin the prop to verify neutral. Connect the shift cable casing guide to the engine shift lever and adjust trunion to the anchor clamp using a slight pull on the cable.<br /><br />Another possiblily is the cable length. Your cable isn't to long is it??

billyt

Seaman
Re: shift connector trunion

Well, there is a pretty good loop at the back of the boat--probably an extra 2-3 feet. I'm pretty upset with the shop I took the boat to--3 out of 5 things I've had to tear apart and re-work and the other 2 they just didn't do at all. Connecting the shift and throttle cables were part of what they were supposed to do. If the cable is too long, what can I do?? thanks, obj