Shift Cable Question???

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice
When I disconnected the gear case, I think I broke the Shift Cable in two. Will I have to take out the top half and put a whole new one in? What's the best way to go about this? Thank You for you help!!

James R

Commander
Re: Shift Cable Question???

Don't quite understand your question. What motor are we talking about.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about that! I have a 1970 Johnson 115hp. heres some pics to show it better:

Thank you!

Attachments

• motor1.7.jpg
    motor1.7.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • motor1.6.jpg
    motor1.6.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • motor1.5.jpg
    motor1.5.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0
  • motor1.4.jpg
    motor1.4.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0

James R

Commander

Ok. You have an electric shift.
There are two wires in this cable, as you call it, one is Green for the neutral and one is blue for the reverse. The system uses solenoids in the lower unit to port hydraulic pressure generated by a pump when the drive shaft is turning. With no power to the solenoids via either the green or blue wires the gear shift defaults to forward gear. So now having explained the system you can consider re-splicing the green and blue wires at the break point ensuring that they are fully insulated.
To enable this I would suggest that you pull the remaining wires (cable) down thru the casing.
Not difficult but you will need to disconnect the Knife connectors on the cable just inside the motor lower housing, lubricate the grommet that is part of the cable where it passes thru the housing and prod the grommet down thru the casing. Before you do this attach some strong twine to the two knife connectors on the cable long enough that it will facilitate the pulling back of the cable thru the casing when you have made the repair.
There is not a lot of slack in the cable to facilitate the repair so cut back the insulation only sufficient to make the repair.
I would use solder and shrink sleeves and coat the outside with a good sealant.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

James,

That is an awesome answer. Thank you for taking the time, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Looks to me like you cut the wiring? Did you?

???

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

I didnt cut it. When I pulled down on the gear case (with gentle coersion), I felt it snap. I also noticed it was starting to deteriorate (the wire wrap). When I go to splice it back together as James recommended, do you think it would be wise to coat the entire wire with a sealant? If so, what type should I use?

Another ?: When I turn the prop, it would go about a quarter turn and then stick a little and click. Is this trouble? Thank You!!!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Good luck splicing that thing. Whatever you attempt, yes it has to be totally waterproof. Electrolysis will eat it off in no time if the water gets to it. It is easy to just replace the cable, IF you can find a new one. I don't think they are made any more. But check and see what you can find.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe i can find one in a boat salvage yard out here. There's a lot of em here at the Lake of the Ozarks. If not, I'm confident I can splice it back together. I just want to know if there is a preferred way to seal the shift wire to protect it from wear. Any suggestions on a sealant is appreciated.

James R

Commander

I have never changed a cable so I am not familiar with the connecting inside the lower casing. The Parts drawings don't make that clear.
If you want to repair I would suggest slipping a long piece of heat shrink tube on the upper cable length and a complimentary piece on the lower cable length. Make these long enough that they will cover almost all of the original cable.
Stripping the wires to enable soldering may present a problem but it can be done. Separate the two wires and slip a piece of heat shrink tube over each wire before soldering then slide the tubing over each joint and shrink it. An electric paint remover gun is ideal for this. Slide one piece of the larger shrink tube over the joint area and shrink it in place. Slide the second piece an inch or so over the first piece and shrink in place.
Black Auto Windshield sealant can be used to seal all ends.
That is about as tough as it gets.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

James, Thanks again for the advice. Im no electrician, but I'm sure I can tackle this. My concern is after all the modification, will the wire fit back down through the grommet? I will lube it, so in theory it should slide through. I will tie twine to it, pull it throught the bottom, splice it and repair, then pull it back up, through the top. I will keep you posted on my progress.

James R

Commander

The Grommet is part of the cable. Use WD40 as a lubricant and a blunt screw driver to push the Grommet with cable down thru the casing. The top of the grommet is tapered which assists with pulling the cable and grommet back up thru the casing. Above the grommet there should be a blue and a green wire protruding. These normally have Knife connectors to connect to the harness. The the green and blue wires and grommet on the cable are the only things that need to to come thru into the engine case.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

ok, Grommet: part of the wire...check. :p I've got to replace the water pump too. I looked on several parts sites and they only show water pump kits for later models. Do you know where i can order a kit for my 115ESL70D? Thank You!!!

rwilso

Seaman

Buy some 3M shrink it has a sealer inside that water proofs the wire you should be able to get this at Granger

3M? Heat Shrink Tubing BBI-A is made of specially formulated, cross-linked, flame-retardant, track-resistant polyolefin that will shrink to fit rectangular, square or round bus bars. 3M Heavy-Wall Tubing resists abrasion, tears, UV and flames. It's adhesive-lined for environmental sealing.

James R

Commander

Your motor is a 1970 Johnson and parts are readily available at your local dealer, Iboats, boats.net and others. Just plug in 115ESL70D in the parts section and you will find everything you need.

SKOOTCH

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks James, for the tips. I know what kind of motor I have, I was just not seeing the water pump kit at first. I found it. Thanks again.