shift assist cylinder

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm workig on a 75 85hp evinrude, motor became extremely hard to shift. I've got the prop shart & shift shaft out so far. Is there a way to bench test the shift assist cylinder? It is very hard to move the shift rod/piston in the cylinder. I haven't disassembled it yet, I guess I need to make a couple of spanners first. Are these available somewhere (assist cylinders) or rebuild kits? Is it likely that this could be my shifting problem? Oh yeah, I did ck all the outher components before removing the L/U, motor shifts the same running or off, have to pry up or smack down the linkage connected to top of shift rod. I'm guessing it's this assist cyl or the oil pump which I haven't gotten out yet.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: shift assist cylinder

River Rat...could you expand a little on what you are calling "shift assist" cylinder? Give us a little more description. Where it's at, what it looks like. Thanks.

just a guess...is your timing set up to high? the armature plate will interfere with you shifting if it is

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's what the shift rod is connected to,just forward of the water pump housing.It is a valve inside a cylinder with o-ring sealed caps at the top and bottom of the cyl. Oil from the oil pump in the L/U passes up to it via the hollow tube/lower shift rod that is keyed to the plunger coming out of the end of the prop shaft(this plunger connects to the clutch dog. Man my head is starting to hurt. It seems mine has a rough spot inside the cylinder allowing it to bind sometimes. Since my last post I removed another from a dead L/U I kept for parts, it is much smoother.(That is operating it in my hand it is smoother) I guess I'll put it back together and see if it really was the problem. I have had no luck finding a new replacement, or rebuild kit. It seems no one even lists parts (new) for these old mtrs. I never thought to ck the timing, mtr runs great although it has been a little harder to start & idle when cold. Thought it was time to change the plugs. thanks for the replys

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

River Rat..... Your shift problem could be due to a faulty shift assist assy, or a faulty oil pump (or both). I'll check the remainder of my stock in the morning to see if I have either of those items and get back to you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

River Rat..... I don't have the oil pump. The shift assist assy has been unavailable since 1991 and at that time had a list of $281.05, however I do have a couple of the shift assist assys left in stock. I'd discount that 1991 price to $115.00. If you're sure this is what you need, contact me at ReevesJ32@aol.com .

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for looking Joe,the cylinder I got out of my spare (broke) L/U works real smooth compared to the one I removed so I'm going to give it a try. I had it all back together today but when I went to shift it the shift cylinder popped out(yup i didn't get the shift rod and plunger on prop shaft mated correctly) taking it back apart I broke my homemade snapring pliers. I will get it right, I will let you know how it works out. thanks again

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got it all back together and fired it up in the yard and the motor is still shifting hard. I did however find a place while adjusting the cable ends that I can get both forward and reverse. Have not had an oportunity to water test it yet but I am not expecting any change. With out a new or rebuilt oil pump to replace the one I have I guess I'll live with it as is, at least until I come up with a new idea.

river rat 26

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just for any body with like problems on hydro-mech L/U's. I ended up pulling the L/U again and tearing it all the way down this time. Should have done this when I had it on the bench the first time. My inner gear on the oil pump was in pieces and the ears on the back of the forward gear (that drive the oil pump) were busted off. Having replaced all the broke stuff with good used parts I've got my sweet running & smooth shifting old evinrude back on the lake. Many thanks to all who helped.