Shellfish allergies

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
This is awful .. I've ate , cleaned ,caught ,baited my hook ,and peeled shrimp my whole life .. Now it appears that I cant anymore .. Last few times the symptoms were mild when I ate it . but last night while we were out of town I just had to have the shrimp for dinner it hit me . I broke out in big huge bumps and hives all over ! I mean they could have casted me in the Walking Dead series ! LOL!! The itching was just unbearable! Then my tongue started swelling up so it was time to head to the ER .. A bunch of Benadryl and a steroid shot in the butt got me calmed down .. Prescriptions for more steroids I have to take . Then I guess no more shrimp for me ..
Any you guys have allergies like this just hit out of nowhere ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Suffered with horrible, unknown sinus allergies for the better part of 20 years.

Be perfectly normal one minute then out of the blue my nose would run like a faucet until I took a decongestant. Moved to our current house and it went away with the move.

Here lately I’ve picked up an allergy to plastic grocery bags. Carry in a bag of groceries and my hands turn red, itch horribly until I wash my hands.

jbcurt00

Staff member
My wife spent several years in Laos growing up while her dad served in Vietnam. Ate seafood & shellfish alot, neay everyday, sometimes more then 1 meal a day. Continued to eat seafood & shellfish once they were back stateside from late elementary school thru graduation from high school. Also ate canned tuna occasionally.

2nd year in college, went to a friends family shrimp boil & fish fry, and almost had to be admitted to the hospital, emergency room efforts werent keeping up w her reaction.

Off chance it was bad shrimo not just an allergic reaction, tried shrimp again about 9mo later. Nearly same result, just an ER trip.

Never ate seafood or shellfish of any kind since 1986 or 87, including fresh water. Which is fine as we catch & release anyway.

Bummer to live in J-ville and no seafood.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Found out that I am allergic to pineapple by eating it, and throat swelled shut. Now I don't even buy juice in the store without reading the entire list of ingredients, because so many use some pineapple juice as a filler. I learned that by drinking cranberry/raspberry juice one day. Another rush trip to emerg, and all i had that day was water, and that juice. When i got home, read the juice jug, and sure enough it also contained some pineapple juice, despite being called cranberry/raspberry.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Bummer to live in J-ville and no seafood.
Agree , Shrimping and fishing is just in our DNA down here in FL ..
I guess my wife will have to bait my hooks for a change ..😋
She started to say that she won't cook seafood around the house so I don't have to watch everyone else enjoy it . I stopped her and said no ... Keep serving as normal for everyone that can eat it , I can survive eating other stuff ..

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We just had Gulf Shores shrimp tonite that we brought back home, up north. What a bummer, phelps. I love crustaceans........
I've heard of guys that had to stop eating venison because they became allergic...

64osby

Admiral
Just after I married my better half she had a bad reaction to crab. Had to go to the emergency room. She was in her 30's and had always enjoyed seafood. She was tested shortly after. The doctor said she could not eat any shellfish based on the tests. Needless to say, there has not been any in the house since then.

There have also been a few incidents of cross contamination when eating out over the years.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Blood test in . Definitely allergic to shrimp but I'm ok with fish thank goodness .. I have to carry around one of those Epinephrine injection pens now ..Had a physical while I was at it . cholesterol ok but could up the good type . Heart and lungs look good . Only concern was my thyroids . More blood tests in a week then make the call on that .