Sheared keyway

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I got my motor put back together today (1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp #15020). It started up after a few pulls but then it popped and shut down. It would not even hit again after that. I pulled the flywheel off and found that the keyway had been sheared off just above the cam that sits under the flywheel. I had the flywheel off prior to painting the moter to replace the plug wires. If the flywheel was not fully seateed back to where it should have been, could that have cuased this? I'll get another keyway in the morning but I thought I would see what you guys think?<br />Thanks :cool:

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Sheared keyway

Originally posted by Wizard1:<br />. If the flywheel was not fully seateed back to where it should have been, could that have cuased this?
Yes, the reason most will shear is because the flywheel nut was not torqued to specifications. The crankshaft and flywheel tapers must be clean and dry. Use no lubricants on either surface, it's a dry fit. I don't have the torque figure for your motor, but one of the other most helpful guys , here on iboats, will. ;)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sheared keyway

Duplicate post.