Sheared keyway

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, I tried to fire up my motor today for the first time sense I replaced the plug wires (1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18hp #15020). It hit twice then fired up but made a strange noise suddenly and died. It would not even hit after that. I pulled the flywheel back off and found that the keyway had been sheared off just above the cam lobe that sits just under the flyway. My question is, what could have cuased this? If I did not get the flywheel back down fully when I reassembled it, could that have been what happened? I will go get another keyway in the morning but I was wondering if anyone might have a suggestion.<br />Thanks :cool:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Sheared keyway

You probably didn't torque the flywheel nut adequately, Wizard.<br /><br />I think that engine takes about 57lb-ft.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Clean the crankshaft taper and the flywheel hole with carb cleaner or brake cleaner before putting the flywheel back on, too. It must not be oily. The key is strictly for alignment; it does not hold the flywheel in place. The tapered fit is what keeps things in place.

Wizard1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks guys, I'll make sure to get it cleaned up real good and double check the torque :cool:

KYHunter2

Chief Petty Officer

Not to be a smart arse . <br /><br /> But when you go to get the key, ask for that.<br /><br /> Not a keyway , as it is the channel/groove, cut in shaft for the key.<br /><br /> If yours has the half circle shaped key .<br /><br /> It is commonly referred to as a woodruff key.<br /><br /> Good-Luck,<br /><br /> KYHunter :)

King P.V.

Seaman

You need to switch the spark wires on the plugs!! Ignition is firing 180 degrees out.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

before ya replace the key use some lapping compound and relap the tapers. any metal on the shaft can prevent the tapers from locking.<br /> like itstipsy says the key lines it up, the fit of the taper holds it there.<br /> like JB says if its not correctly tightened it can move as well.