Settle a dispute about the difference between a lake boat and an inshore boat

jackrabbit66

Seaman
So my roommate keeps calling my boat a "lake boat". Its a 19' Fish & ski with 120hp outboard, half transom. It came with a galvanized trailer, everything on the boat is stainless steel. When you look up the definition of a "fish and ski" boat it describes it as being for lakes & inshore waters. would you call this a lake boat? what else distinguishes a lake boat from an inshore boat?

His boat is the Stamas pictured below and of course a "proper inshore fishing boat" in his opinion. Oh, and I don't know what his trailer is made of but its rusting to **** and his boat has chrome instead of stainless....
seasport.jpg
vs. image_221963.jpg

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Just different terms used by folks and boat manufacturers....what's important is length, beam, draft, deadrise and power....your Seasport looks like a fairly seaworthy craft able to run in swells, chop, etc....

southkogs

Staff member
That Stamas might be a little beefier boat and able to take some bigger water (that's just lookin' at pictures though), but both look to be playing in a similar league.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There is absolutely no difference between inshore and lake boats....

Really..... Ever hear of the great salt lake..... Dispute settled tell him "**** off wanker" :)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Ha! don't worry. With all that flammable stuff stored next to his boat, it won't be around much longer!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Ever see Lake Michigan on a windy day? I wouldn't take either of those out there on a windy day. Michigan is an Inland Lake.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Kind of hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the Stamas has higher gunwales and bow. The bow has a bit more flair and looks higher across the stern. The Stamas also looks like the bow is closed. All those things will make it better protection in higher or confused seas. If things got really bad I think that the Stamas would be my preference (based on the hull configuration).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The funny thing is short of the 40 days and 40 nights event ALL waters are inshore....

That said, generally speaking "inshore" refers to lakes rivers streams and ponds....

To say one is a lake boat and the other in an inshore boat is to say they are exactly the same thing as each other.

One girl is fat and the other has a great personality........ :cool:

roffey

Commander
I thought a lake boat was a shallow V or flat bottom like a bass boat, gives you a sore back in big swells. I have never heard of a in shore boat but as all seem to be saying, it sounds like the same term to me.

thumpar

Admiral
I don't even know what an "inshore boat" is supposed to mean. Aren't lakes "inshore". I would tell him to talk when he gets a bigger motor.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Inshore is not the same as lake or offshore. A quick search for inshore fishing will help settle the discussion.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I boat out of Southport, NC. When in the Cape Fear river, both those boats might as well be in a bath tub if the tide and wind are in opposition. My first boat was a 16' run-about in northeast FL, certainly more suited for lakes or tame rivers than the ocean. The two years I owned it, a friend and I fished every weekend from May to October, and recorded over 200 sharks (up to 9'), over 50 tarpon (up to 135#), 24 kingfish (up to 40#), a handful of cobia (up to #40), copious quantities of trout, redfish, flounder, bluefish, spanish mackerel, and a fair number of black bass, brim, shellcrackers,and catfish.Those fish were caught from 25 miles upstream, to the river inlet, the ICW, up to 5 miles out, and many 5-10 miles up or down the coast. Would that make my boat lake (or river), inshore, near-shore, or off-shore?

Both those boats will beat you to death in a good chop, neither will take a stern sea very well, and neither would do well on a chopped up lake. And both would do very well in the same locations and quiet conditions. I've seen 6' tight waves in rivers, and complete calm 65 miles offshore. You guys are bandying labels where labels don't mean much ... :sleeping: