Settle a bet on Counter rotating props

sos

Seaman Apprentice
I was having a discussion with a buddy the other day about boats and counter rotating props. My buddy was trying to tell me that the engines were counter rotating. I said I had never heard of that. I said that the gear case is counter rotating.<br />Who is right?<br />Thanks

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Settle a bet on Counter rotating props

Both of you, some work one way and some work the other way. Do I get the money?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, SOS.<br /><br />You are correct for outboards, your friend is correct for inboards and some I/Os.<br /><br />Nobody wins unless your wager specifies what type power you are talking about.

sos

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Guys the bet was just for a round of drinks. :)

Capt Ken

Commander

Ahhh, got ya JB. In the mid 80's, Neverrude counter-rotated their engines by reversing the rotation of the powerhead. I had one come in last year that wouldn't start. After several days and bunches of phone calls to so call experts, I found a guy in south Fl that had me check the casting number on the flywheel. It was a counter-rotating engine that the owner had replaced the starter, but had installed a standard starter. Had to special order a counter-rotating starter. That was one for the books.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Must be very rare, Ken. Especially if you have only seen one.

sos

Seaman Apprentice

Cool guys , Hey Capt is the only difference in the counter-rotating engine a counter-rotating starter to spin the crank the other way?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Very early Mercs did the trick of having 2 pinions on the starter. When you wanted reverse, you shut the engine down, pressed the reverse button on the control box and restarted the engine. It would throw the other pinion into the flywheel and crank the engine in the other direction. Va lah, reverse! 'Round the early 60s I think.

sos

Seaman Apprentice

That's right they were called the "Dockbuster", it's all coming back to me now. :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaah yep the ole dockbusters. and with a good reason. depending on who built it and where the reversing can be done at the engine,intermedite housing or drive. the odd outboard ran backwards. two strokes are not picky as to direction of rotation.<br /> good luck<br /> PS with a round as a wager its a win-win bet :) :)

achris

More fish than mountain goat

It may be deviating from the subject, but who remembers the old 049 model aeroplane engine. Number of chunks I took out of my finger with that thing! As you flicked them they'd catch and fire in reverse, thus taking a piece out of the flicking finger as the prop came back the other way. Ouch! Could that be called a counter-rotating prop?<br /><br />Chris......

yoced

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rgr that, Chris! Nicked myself with those plenty of times. Finally went to sailplanes as I thought they may be safer - only to find out that when 100 yards of stretched surgical tubing snaps it hurts even worse! :eek: <br /><br />FWIW, two-stroke engines in motorcycles can be started backwards also - that is less fun than you may think, as you won't know the difference (no visible prop spinning backwards) until you put it in gear and let'er rip. ouch. :eek: