Setting up timing marks on an 80hp fgs

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1961 80 hp FGS that I aquired last fall. The motor is in good shape, but has not run in 35 years. I read clams link and sinc post. My problem is, the flywheel has no marks on it, except the vertical line, used to set the timing belt up. I have made up a degree wheel, and I proposed to do the following to make the proper timing marks, and set up a pointer, in order to use an electronic timing light.
The mark on the flywheel, according to the manual, is not at TDC of #1 cylinder, but actually 20 degrees ATDC. So if I place the degree wheel on the
flywheel, and line up 20 ATDC to the vertical line, I can now make the mark for TDC off the degree wheel. I would then set a mark, on the nearest part of the distributor houseing at 34 degrees BTDC. On this mark I can then fashion up a marker to use for startionary mark.
I would use a dial gauge to confirm the TDC mark, and when setting timing I would error to the down side of 34 degrees.
If I can get some feedback, on whether I am first correct in my methodology,
and/or some how to's if I am wrong.

Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Setting up timing marks on an 80hp fgs

Thats not the way to time a 800 GS you either need a dial indicator or a .235 timing stop for spark and .015 for pickup. use # 3 hole and you don't have to remove the top, the white point wire for the ohm meter and I alway remove the cap to hold the rotor against the drive tang.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Laddies,

I assume your refering to the thread in mechanical timing tool (part numberC91-26916A1). That I don't have, I spent quite a bit of time lookng for one, yet have been unable to aquire one. I also don't have the one for .015. I had read the link (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=168855) and I made the assumption, if I had the proper marks, I could use this method with the timing light, to set max timing. I have the manual, and
if I had the "jigs" I coud set it that way.
Are you saying I could use the dial indicator, in place of the timing tools?

Thanks

Laddies

Banned

Yes many differant 2 cycle engines are timed that way and the gauges are built by several companies