Setting trailer on jack stands???

jash1178

Seaman
I want to take both wheels off and carry them to have my new tires put on (single axle trailer). Where is it ok to put the jackstands for it sit on while I am gone? Under axle, frame of trailer, under leaf spring bracket?? Not much experience in this area :confused:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Setting trailer on jack stands???

Ayuh,... Lower the tongue jack, block the aft end of the frame, raise the tongue jack, 'n remove yer tires...

winterfunguy

Seaman

You can put the jack stands anywhere on the frame from the axle back. Do not jack on the center of the axle tube if there is a boat on the trailer...it will most likely get tweaked. Try to jack off the frame or very near to the springs if you must use the axle. If the boat is on the trailer DO NOT USE THE TONGUE JACK IN FRONT AND BLOCK THE BACK TRICK THIS COULD GET YOU SERIOUSLY HURT!!! This trick will change the load on the jack significantly by removing the load bearing fulcrum point and will put 1/2 of the total weight of the boat/trailer and put it on a 300-500lb rated tongue jack. Please use a jackstand for the tongue as well as the other points.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

jack from the frame just behind the spring and put the jack stands on the axle tube RIGHT NEXT TO the leaf springs

Thalasso

Commander

See post #3,but i would put jack under the leaf springs where the shackle goes through the mounting plate.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Not everyone uses a chumpy tongue jack for their trailer. I have used the method many times to raise a trailer, w/boat, off the ground. The only suggestion would be to add a jack stand to the tongue to steady and support the load.

If the boat in his profile is the one in question, there would be little danger in just using a 300lb jack, as the whole setup, is barely over that.

winterfunguy

Seaman

Not everyone uses a chumpy tongue jack for their trailer. I have used the method many times to raise a trailer, w/boat, off the ground. The only suggestion would be to add a jack stand to the tongue to steady and support the load.

If the boat in his profile is the one in question, there would be little danger in just using a 300lb jack, as the whole setup, is barely over that.

We don't know if that is the boat he is lifting or not and we don't know if he is using a H.D Rigid mount jack or a economy model pivot jack. The pivot jacks will snap the pivot lock pin as they are not hardened. I just like to make it a point to give "safe" advice for people to follow. I agree the bot in the pic could be easily handled by tongue jack of any quality but a 20 foot runabout would be a differant story...yes people get away with stuff every day, that's called luck. I'm just looking out for my fellow boaters safety.

weareallnuts

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I placed jack stands on each side at the rear of the trailer, under the frame, with the front of the trailer as low as it goes on the jack wheel. Raise the height of the jack stands, then jack up the front of the trailer. That should get the trailer wheels off the ground. If it does, place jack stands forward of the wheels under the side frames.

If raising the front of the trailer doesn't get the wheels off the ground, then you'll need a buddy and a couple of floor jacks under each side of the frame, just forward of the wheels. Raise the trailer from both sides simultaneously, then place jack stands under the frame. When you're done, the trailer is safe for you to work on/under. By the way, an impact wrench makes removal of the hangers and bunk support brackets. Some, you may need to use a cold chisel to break off the bolts. Corrosion is pain! When you rebuild, take your time and buy good hardware -- galvanized, stainless if possible.

Good luck!

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Mine sits all winter on jackstands under the axles. The jackstands are lower and more stable. Never had a worry.

jjzepplin

Seaman

I put my boat in the air every time I come home. Got new tires and it keeps them out of the mud and sand and keeps them safe if they should lose air. Keeps the sidewalls from cracking and belts from disfiguring. Besides who knows when I might get out again. I put the jackstands near the back axle and leave it on the tongue jack. And A plus is I can do bearing maintenance any time! The stand in the rear actually stabilize the whole thing really well. And hey Wearallnuts... I replaced all the u-bolts and nuts on my trailer as they were all rounded from corrosion. Used my best friend...Long throw Snap-On air hammer to snap those bolts with precision.