Servicing

DTM

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 5.7 l Mercrusiser s/drive with a Alpha 1 leg. Do these motors need to be annually serviced at 100 hrs under normal operating conditions (ie. not thrashed), when there are no obvious problems and the oil is clean? This motor and leg were reconed 100 hrs ago, so I know everything is ship-shape. What is a safe hourly-interval to service, or 100 hrs just a ploy to make the service outlets more money?
Thanks
Danny, Mandurah, Western Australia

mkast

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Servicing

The term is called "Preventative Maintenance". Do the maintenance BEFORE a problem surfaces. If you perform maintenance as outlined in the service manual, you'll probably won't be left stranded on the water.
Try not to "run it till it breaks" then fix it.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most maintenance interval recommendations by the manufacturers are:

Every 100 hours or Annually, whichever comes first.

I'm lucky to put 25 hrs on my boat every season :(, yet am very methodical with all of my maintenance checks. I also perform all of my own maintenance thus cost besides parts isn't the issue for me.

Do I fully agree with the "annual" requirement regardless of hours used? No, but that only applies to some of the items I look at. It would really be inappropriate for any tech to give you a maintenance recommendation without fully understanding your typical boating environment and annual use etc.. Not to mention the degree of attention you give to your own pre and post boating checks etc..

As mkast stated: "Preventative Maintenance" is key to a boat. Some items if left unchecked not only could leave you stranded yet cost tenfold to repair vs just replacing each season.

If an option, I would suggest getting a repair manual for your engine/drive and learning to perform the easier items yourself. This will save you some money as well as get you more intimately aware of your boats needs etc..

Happy boating.

Bondo

Staff member

Hmmmm,... 100hrs.,..??..?? I Service My driveline Every 50hrs....

And, I pull the drive for the winter....
That's when a Full Service, Fluid Changes,+ Total Inspection happens....