Service manual??

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is a good brand service manual for a 1978 80HP and a 1984 75 HP Mercury outboard?? Or should I by both from the dealer?? Thanks Guys. Zrt.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Service manual??

The best service manual is the factory service manual. You should also get a parts manual. I just paid 150.00 for a full set, (service, parts, owners) from Merc through a dealer.

Clymer manuals seem more detailed than Seloc manuals but they both try to squeeze too much into one book. Often you're looking at something totally different than what you're seeing on your engine. Seloc does seem to have more recent updates for spec's than Clymer so if you go that route for just regular maintenance then I would pick the Seloc. If you want to get more detailed and understand a little already then go with the Clymer. If you want the best of both then go with the factory stuff.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I see you are rebuilding a 135 merc. Does any of the manuals show the tolerance's for bore diameters??

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The best service manual is the factory service manual. You should also get a parts manual. I just paid 150.00 for a full set, (service, parts, owners) from Merc through a dealer.

Yeah, try to get the OEM manuals. Try eBay before you pay full price at a dealer-- you might get lucky and find cheaper used copies.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I see you are rebuilding a 135 merc. Does any of the manuals show the tolerance's for bore diameters??
Absolutely. The bore is 3.125, out of round is .006 and taper is .006. If you over bore just add the amount to the base value. If you run Wiseco pistons bore .001 over the std bore or your overbore spec.

I honed mine with a set of hardened diamond 220 grit hones. I bought those 20 years ago and wouldn't know where to get them now. I got the taper and out of round to within .0005 on all cylinders. I used a tilting head drill press and then cross hatched them with a power drill because I had a lot of aluminum on the walls I had to get rid of. Honing and boring is something that not many shops can do because of the bottom guided rods and the fact that the cylinders are not open at the bottom.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Yeah, try to get the OEM manuals. Try eBay before you pay full price at a dealer-- you might get lucky and find cheaper used copies.

You might but you won't get the service bulletin subscription offer. The service manual is definitly the way to go. The others pale by comparison. It's really nice to see your engine in the pictures. I also suggest you get the parts manual. The online parts manual at Merc is good but there's keys and codes that don't show up and they can be critical when ordering the right part. An example is trying to find the correct piston for my 135. There's a note at the top of the page that says for use with 338-8118 stamped rod castings. Ironnically, the part number for the rod is 338-8119A. That's all you'll see in the online parts list at Merc and Merc reps don't realize that so they can't figure out why your asking.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well my bore is a 2.875 You made me a believer in factory manual after you were talking about your pistons and rod. Wow.