serial #'s on Mercury-Force

mango1229

Cadet
I have '98 Merc-Force 120 and i'm trying to locate a serial # stamping. I've found a stick on decal with the serial on it but it is faded and not legible. I'm hoping there is a stamping somewhere else on the block? I'm in South Carolina where titles are required for outboards, and to obtain a title a serial # is a must. I contacted Mercury and they had no clue. Anyone have any suggestions as to where else on this motor i might find it? I'd appreciate any info!

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
did you look on the transom bracket - that is where it is on mine - but I have an older model

Gerard1970

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 150 and found it on the head unit...facing from inside the boat it was on the upper right...little metal plate.

Jiggz

Captain
You might want to try to read the stick on decal using different colors of light (using colored filters like green or orange or even UV - also known as black light )or using pencil shadowing. Most of the time that is the only place were the serial number is located at.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Depending on if the motor came with the boat??????
If it did??? Send The manufacturer a note with the hull # and they can send you the serial #

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
~~Depending on if the motor came with the boat??????
If it did??? Send The manufacturer a note with the hull # and they can send you the serial #

mango1229

Cadet
thankyou for the good suggestions. Unfortunately i don't see any stampings anywhere else on this motor. So the only serial # that Mercury put on this motor is an adhesive-applied cheap sticker thats below the waterline of the motor?!? If so thats pretty careless of them...Anyways i'm going to try shining different lights on the existing sticker and see if that helps. Jiggz: were you implying that i peel the sticker off and hold up into different lights?
Jerry: I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure if the motor is original, but its worth a shot. good thinking!

mango1229

Cadet
thankyou for the good suggestions. Unfortunately i don't see any stampings anywhere else on this motor. So the only serial # that Mercury put on this motor is an adhesive-applied cheap sticker thats below the waterline of the motor?!? If so thats pretty careless of them...Anyways i'm going to try shining different lights on the existing sticker and see if that helps. Jiggz: were you implying that i peel the sticker off and hold up into different lights?
Jerry: I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure if the motor is original, but its worth a shot. good thinking!

mango1229

Cadet

Jiggz

Captain
Try not to disturb the sticker first by reading it at its location. Bring in an extension cord and shine different colors of light to trace and hopefully be able to read the #'s. You may not be the original owner, but it doesn't hurt at all to try Jerry's suggestions. Email or write them a letter with the boat's serial number which is located on the title or on the boat itself usually at the starboard rear. And if you can even match a single or two digits from what you can make out from the faded decal from what the manufacturer gives you, then you can conclude it to be the accurate serial #.