Serial number?

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Boats still in son-in-laws pole barn. I had him crawl in behind the boat and find my motors serial number. Small tab on right side of motor mount. Outboards a 35 hp Merc. 2 stroke. The boats a 1989 and I'm assuming the motors around there too. Anyway...he read me the number as OC102625. Doesn't look like any number on any of the charts I've found on line. Maybe he read it wrong. Anyone have any ideas. I'd like to order a service manual for the motor but don't want to get the wrong one. They're a little spendy. I understand the number is also on the engine block. I'll check and make sure I've got the right number the next time I get to the kids house. As soon as I figure out how to get the cowl off:rolleyes:
Mike

mjc3834merc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Serial number?

Thanks. I thought it probably was. Boat will go in the water the first week in May. Dealer prept it and said it started and ran fine in his tank. Sure hope so. Its all I can afford right now. Could you tell me how you determined it was an 89? I appreciate your time.
Mike
Here's a pic of my new (old) pride and joy. First real boat.
360723896.jpg

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well most listings for serial/model year only show a beginning s/n for 1989 35hps,which is b393xxx. Now in 1990 the 35 had a serial number starting 958xxxx,which is an international (non us) s/n. Also in 1990 the 40hp had a starting s/n of c22xxxx I believe. I think 1989 was the last year of usa sold 35hp motors. Good luck!

Dunaruna

Admiral

9xxxxxx or 09xxxxxx denotes belgium built.

8xxxxxx or 08xxxxxx denotes southeast asia (australian) built.

7 is canadian.

1,2,3,4,5 or 6 is U.S.

The letters get a little more complicated because all the above countries use them post 1999 although Australian do not build mercs anymore.

Your motor is home grown.