serial # crisis what is it; when was it born

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class
went on for adults only followed dirictions came up wiyh these numbers starboard engine 3937746 con2 h 12 9 port 2770087 that really trough me off can you help me identify i already used the gm mercury engine model chart this is i was told 1977 dolphin 22.5 ft. sending pics

Attachments

• 22.5  dolphin boat 001.jpg
    22.5 dolphin boat 001.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.5  dolphin boat 004.jpg
    22.5 dolphin boat 004.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.5  dolphin boat 002.jpg
    22.5 dolphin boat 002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.5  dolphin boat 005.jpg
    22.5 dolphin boat 005.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 22.5  dolphin boat 008.jpg
    22.5 dolphin boat 008.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: serial # crisis what is it; when was it born

That 0G937746 number is for a Mercury outboard. You might want to recheck your numbers and post what kind of motor it is.

erikgreen

Captain

From the look of the engines they're inline 4 cylinder Mercruisers (may not be brand name, might be converted car engines or something) attached to MC-1 pre alpha sterndrives.

Assuming the drives and engines are the originals, that means the drives probably have a 1.98:1 gear ratio.

The engines themselves could be any number of models, including the "470" that people seem to hate a lot. Perhaps 140-170 horsepower each.

Like Don says, recheck the numbers. Check the serials on the sterndrives, they'll tell you the approximate year of manufacture and you can look at the U-joint yoke to find a letter stamp that'll confirm the gear ratio.

Usually Mercruiser put a sticker on the valve covers giving the model, but it looks like those have been repainted. Check the carbs for a metal tag with model info.

If the engines run (and aren't 470s) there are plenty of parts available and even replacement engines that use the same mounts.

What are you trying to do with these?

Erik

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

they were both seized up got starboard side free and turning port side still siezed took heads off cylinder walls look ok valves need be worked on will now take stern drive off maybe its froze up found crack in it just above prop shaft housing in back of port water in take vent but towards the rear trying in a nut shell to get them both running again i know a major rebuild is best but money is tight

erikgreen

Captain

That's ok, a lot of people have tight money. Maybe you could pull both engines, use parts from both to get one running, then do the same with the drives. Rebuild the transom for a single engine and go boating :)

If you don't spend the cash, be prepared for a lot of maintenance work yourself. Also be prepared to spend cash on parts and maintenance for the drives, they have stuff that should be replaced every couple of years, and they won't work (will leak/self destruct) without it.

Erik