sensitive sensors AGAIN

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok for those of you who have been following me I got more info on the 175 Evinrude.<br />It is an '81 175 Evinrude<br />#E175TRLCIMZ0001629 (the 'Z' might be a 'T' it's hard to read)<br /><br />Anyway this is the motor that will run all day at an idle, goose it up to a plane an the buzzer sounds. Impellar was replaced, Heads were off and cleaned but it still does it. Some suggested maybe it was a fuel mixture sensor. But he says that he mixes his oil with his fuel.<br />I've 'played with Yamahas but not Evinrudes. <br />Any help troubleshooting this would be great. PS I don't have a manual but I think a trip to the Library will help me there. Is there any jumping out of sensors that I can do to narrow it down?

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: sensitive sensors AGAIN

Were the water deflectors replaced, water passage cover removed from head and passage cleaned. thermostats and pressure releif valve<br />working. The water pump has o-ring under pump cup, if this not in place pump sucks air above idle. How hot is motor? Most V6 john/evri have vacumn sensor on fuel system between pump and tank, sensor located on engine. If fuel is restricted 6/7 in vacuum the alarm will sound. Should have 1 temp sensor on each head, if engine has vacuu, sensor, look on left side of engine, sensor wire are tan. unplug all sensors, run engine, reconnect sensors 1 at a time and try it,

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for a starting point on this issue.

Paddling

Seaman

Tony H, clanton is suggesting some causes of the over temp problems I have had with my own motor. The t-stats aren't expensive and are easy to change. When my 150 hp had the overtemp-above-idle condition the water passages under the covers on the heads were completely blocked with salt and corrosion. Also the deflectors may not look bad but it takes very little swelling of these to cause the water to be improperly routed in the passages. I have always disconnected the sensors one at a time to determine which is hot. The other continuous horn signal is the fuel restriction vacuum switch. One way to rule out fuel probs is to temporarily connect motor to 6 gallon tank. Good luck and let us know what you find.

TONY H

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Paddling, The T'stats were changed.<br /><br />I personally didin't pull the Heads so I don't know if they broke them down and looked under the covers. I'm going to disconnect all the sensor wires and put back one at a time, If is a Temp. problem I think I will put Thermal couples by each cylinder, that will narrow down wear the restriction is.<br />We shall see. Thanks

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

That sounds like a good idea, Tony. I would replace that sender (the one you'll find) before digging too deep into the motor,as it may not be called for.