Selling boats!

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Selling a boat is pain these days, I live in Fl. so many boats on the market, no one has any $$, everyone wants somethin for nottin! Is it the same everywhere?

Jet Wrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Selling boats!

Seems like a lot of people are getting rid of their toys. Not high on their list of priorities. Food and mortgage payments are #1. If you can wait just before the season opens next year, you'll have better luck.

JW

Norseman

Cadet

Buyers market in Florida for sure, wrong time to sell.

Not only boats, but real estate and more.

Boat Trader should give you some indication of current asking prices, then take off 20 or 30% for actual trading prices.

http://www.boattrader.com

'96 Charger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems like the only way you can sell a boat these days is if you practically give it away. The best thing my buddy taught me was to buy used, fight with the used boat kinks for the first year you have it going behind the previous owner(s) hack jobs, run it til the boat itself gets unsafe, then make the decision to either junk it or sell it to someone for a restoration. I personally couldn't sell something that I feel is unsafe so...

Brewman61

Ensign

Simply a matter of supply and demand. The economy hit lots of people hard, resulting in a lot of selling. Lotsa product, few buyers= glut.
Glut= dropping prices.
Credit is also harder to get, reducing the potential purchasers even more.

In this area it's nearing the end of season, which itself puts downward pressure on prices.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I heard just the opposite. Used boats are hot. A dealer up here said an 18 footer with a 4.3 in it will be gone in less than a month. He said expect to get NADA value to.

EMC 1810SS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I heard just the opposite. Used boats are hot. A dealer up here said an 18 footer with a 4.3 in it will be gone in less than a month. He said expect to get NADA value to.

X2 I had my boat at the marina a few weeks ago and they WANTED it. They know I am going to upgrade soon and wanted to OUTRIGHT buy my boat. Not Trade. The Head Service Man said they Have been going to auctions and picking up ANY boat with a V-6 and less than 20 feet. They cant keep them. The sales manager said they are making more money on the auctioned used boats than their new boat lines. It all depends on WHAT the boat is, and the SIZE.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

Yep. lots for sale out here. and the prices are dropping like crazy. I keep seeing the same adds posted over and over with lower and lower prices..

yeah Mr President, I believe the economy is getting better (note the sarcasm... )

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah there is a small market for this boat, 1980 26' carver santa cruze with a single 260 merc... I think i finally have her sold though, we will see on Friday! wish me luck!

How would you guys handle this? A Woman calls me about the boat today from New Orleans, she asks me a few basic questions then tells me her and her husband have owned a 16' john boat and ran it on the inland lakes and rivers, and they have never been in the ocean. she asks me if I would be willing to take them out and show them how to use everything on the boat if they buy it! I said yes( I'm a nice guy :D) then she tells me they want to run it back to new Orleans by water! OMG so would u sell it to em and watch the papers? or refuse to sell it to them? I told her that probably wasn't a good good idea and that they should prob have it trailered back there, and spend some time running it in there home waters for a while before they attempt a trip like that!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Being in SE Wisconsin and watching graigslist all the time my observation has been this, there are still many boats being listed this time of year but the prices seem to be increasing and the posts seem to be posted longer. So it would seem people are asking more and selling less! Don't see many being reduced in price.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Being in SE Wisconsin and watching graigslist all the time my observation has been this, there are still many boats being listed this time of year but the prices seem to be increasing and the posts seem to be posted longer. So it would seem people are asking more and selling less! Don't see many being reduced in price.

Same in the NW. They seem to want spring pricing even now. Apparently, owners are willing to hang on to them thru the winter just to get their price next spring. 16' - 18' fishing boats with consoles that are in good shape(2000 and newer) are still flying off the shelf at way above NADA.....

paidfor

Cadet

Well, here in Texas (Central Texas) there are lots of boats for sale. But when you look at them they are mostly not very well kept and maintained. I have been in the market for a few weeks now. I have looked at quite a few and spoken to about 20. My problem is that I am very picky about what I will be spending my money on. I do not mind buying an older boat if it is in real good condition, but there are very very few of these. Most everyone around here have their boats priced to high for what they have. I wish I could buy in Fl, and afford to have it trailered to Tx.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

pull it to ND and sell it! I've bought my last couple boats all out of state and towed them back, simply because boats are far too overpriced up here. Especially now with the oil boom hitting again, and a very large lake pretty much in the middle of oil country.

Angrywasp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, here in Texas (Central Texas) there are lots of boats for sale. But when you look at them they are mostly not very well kept and maintained. I have been in the market for a few weeks now. I have looked at quite a few and spoken to about 20. My problem is that I am very picky about what I will be spending my money on. I do not mind buying an older boat if it is in real good condition, but there are very very few of these. Most everyone around here have their boats priced to high for what they have. I wish I could buy in Fl, and afford to have it trailered to Tx.

If you buy one tomorrow I can haul it to TX since I'm heading that way on Thursday for about 2 weeks.

mr 88

Commander

The attrition rate of boats is minsicule compared to vehicles. How many are crashed, rusted out POS that after 10 -15 years on the water are scrapped,few if any would be my guess.A decent hull with a bad motor is no problem to repower,cars do not fall into that catergory,they just junk them .A good amount of the boats are used for 3 maybe 4 months mostly on the weekends.There is not a lot of wear and tear on them. So this means the market is flooded with used boats and the easiest way to move on for a seller is to take a huge loss or wait for years in many cases to get fair market value.I would guess the 5 thousand dollar and under boat would move the quickest in this economy.

MainShip36

Cadet

I picked up my boat 2 months ago for $16,000. The book is over $40,000. It was very well taken care of, gel coat in excellent shape. Always maintained, and the guy I got it from was the second owner and he had it for 12 years.

Everything works and is in great shape. The last owner had the money to alway maintain and repair when needed and paid people to do the work instead of screwing it up himself.

dellsboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have recently been on both ends, sold our boat in late October, bought another in November. Everyone want everthing for nothing, but in fairness we sold to buy something for less money to pay some bills. We went from a nearly new 16 foot jet to a 21 foot cuddy! We had ton of low ballers, sold for 1500 less then we started from, but bought our new one for 1800 less then the advertised price. We are on SW Wisconsin....

But being in bussiness for myself, my cutomers are the same, want more for less, or will shop the Walmarts or bigbox stores. Sad as it is we all are tightning the belt....