Sell for parts or finish repairs...

johnnypac

Seaman Apprentice
I'd like some advice, or perhaps have come for encouragement.

I have an 89 searay bowrider 160. bought it used last year, been out once on it.... The kids and I loved it. Bad news, found a transom leak. I have a friend who can do the fiberglass work as this is his FT job, but I have to remove motor. So, I'm mechanically inclined. I can take this on.....

I have the alpha one off, bought new rebuild kit with gimble bearing, new hoses and bellows, new lower shift cable.....
Now I've stalled with pulling the motor..... Never done it.... I'm apprehensive. The boat has new floors, new upholstery and is a fun little boat. I've purchased Wake board, skis and tubes for the kids already.

Would I be better off selling for parts and purchasing a more sound boat? Or shall I move forward?

Little input, I'll take $ offers or encouragement
John

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you are doing the fiberglass work yourself, it may be worth the money to fix it up. If you are paying a guy that does this full time, you are better off parting the boat out or selling at as project boat and cutting your losses.

If you're going to do the fiberglass work yourself, the following needs to be checked:

#1. The outdrive and engine are 100% operating condition and do not have leaks or freeze damage.

#2. The rot is limited to the transom area and does not run farther than about 4 to 8 inches from the transom on the stringers.