Sell for parts or finish repairs...

johnnypac

Seaman Apprentice
boat 1.jpg I'd like some advice, or perhaps have come for encouragement.

I have an 89 searay bowrider 160. bought it used last year, been out once on it.... The kids and I loved it. Bad news, found a transom leak. I have a friend who can do the fiberglass work as this is his FT job, but I have to remove motor. So, I'm mechanically inclined. I can take this on.....

I have the alpha one off, bought new rebuild kit with gimble bearing, new hoses and bellows, new lower shift cable.....
Now I've stalled with pulling the motor..... Never done it.... I'm apprehensive. The boat has new floors, new uphostry and is a fun little boat. I've purchased Wake board, skis and tubes for the kids already.

Would I be better off selling for parts and purchasing a more sound boat? Or shall I move forward?

Little input, I'll take $ offers or encouragement
John

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Rickmerrill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Assuming everything below the new floor is sound, and that is a big assumption, pulling the motor is easy. The hardest part may be finding a way to lift it high enough to get it over the back of the boat. Disconnecting things is just like a car. That took me a couple of hours. Once I found a cherry picker that would lift it high enough it literally only took an hour or so to get it out by myself. So the engine pull is really not very hard.

jbcurt00

Staff member
One topic would probably have been enough:
Sell for parts or finish repairs...

Offers to sell or buy your boat aren't allowed under the iboats forum rules.

A transom leak, that requires fiberglass work, and the engine to be pulled? Sounds more like a transom replacement is needed BECAUSE of a water leak.

That's ^^^ extremely likely, and puts all other work done below decks suspect.