Seems to wander at low speeds..

kinger87

Cadet
My cruiser seems to wander a bit back and forth at lower speeds, not terrible but you have to constantly steer back and forth to keep it in a straight line. is there a adjustment, or is the steering just worn out, or is it just normal for em to handle like crap at low speeds.? btw its great when you are planing or cruising at half speed, or ever 1/4 speed. when navigating into the harbor it just seems to be a bit demanding ya know..

zinc

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Seems to wander at low speeds..

My cruiser seems to wander a bit back and forth at lower speeds, not terrible but you have to constantly steer back and forth to keep it in a straight line. is there a adjustment, or is the steering just worn out, or is it just normal for em to handle like crap at low speeds.? btw its great when you are planing or cruising at half speed, or ever 1/4 speed. when navigating into the harbor it just seems to be a bit demanding ya know..

My Bayliner does the same thing.......
I believe it has to do with the hull....deep vee.

TpaPaul813

Cadet

My Sea Ray 175 does the same thing...makes me nutz..

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Its normal... nature of the beast, for a single screw boat.

If you had counter rotating twins or a duoprop drive, they track a whole lot better.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Agree with Jason...typical for a single stern drive boat.
Smart tab or any trim tabs really help the problem..
Or just learn to not over correct the steering...

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine does the same thing and Gary is right, just learn to not over-correct.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Tabs help, but with some practice the corrections will be come second nature.

zinc

Seaman Apprentice

I also noticed it gets worse after a few beers.............
Guess I'll tighten up that loose nut behind the steering wheel:D:D

jkust

Rear Admiral

Once you are used to it you won't notice as much.

Clipper 800

Cadet

I have a Bayliner 175. I frequently navigate a narrow channel between lakes with a good 10 knot current.This a Zero wake area as well, max speed 5 knots ,so it is hard to keep the boat straight

I have found that if you raise the outdrive, to about 1/2 way it seems to help keep the boat straight. Also get the weight.i.e kids ,coolers up in the bow,and it seems to react better to the speed and the current.

Hope this helps.Clipper 800 and the crew

WizeOne

Commander

As Gary H NC said, get Smart Tabs. They will not just 'help' the wander or reduce it, they will all but eliminate your no wake bow wander problem. IMHO, there is no getting use to it, it is always a PIA.

I fought mine for 30 years until I put Smart Tabs on the boat. Now I can all but get up from the steering wheel and wander around the boat while at 'no wake' speed.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

when i got my boat, it was really bad, and then I realized the steering connection on the Gimbal ring was torn up. you may want to check, don't know if this is a problem on the Volvo's as well or not.

The outdrive should not have any "slop" back and forth. if you move it, the steering wheel should move as well.

kinger87

Cadet

everything seems tight back there, when you move the outdrive the wheel moves..etc. Anyone have a direct link with more info on the smart tabs or trim tabs? Its not terrible, i'm getting used to it, but Im always up to improve stuff. thanks for all info so far!

I also noticed it gets worse after a few beers.............
Guess I'll tighten up that loose nut behind the steering wheel

lol isnt that the truth huh?

WizeOne

Commander

.....Anyone have a direct link with more info on the smart tabs or trim tabs? Its not terrible, i'm getting used to it, but Im always up to improve stuff.

Here is a link right here on iboats;

http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Parts_Ac...**********.078750708--submit.x.25--submit.y.9

These things will improve your performance in more ways than you can imagine, especially at low speed planing.

Do a search here and you can find plenty of testimonials.

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the comment about the nut behind the steering wheel... :)

Every boat I've been on has the issue. If you don't correct at all, the boat still goes through the water like a snake.

kinger87

Cadet

ya I just found some info on iboats as well, duh..lol! I guess I just needed to look a bit closer, I just ordered some replacement parts as well..timing belt..etc..just in case, dont want to bend any valves..heh.

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

Very common with V hulls. My boat used to not just wander, but go walkabout! :D I got the SX smart tabs last summer and while they didn't eliminate it, they reduced it by a good 50% or more. They did eliminate my porpoising issues, and also cut my bow rise while getting on plane by about half. Well worth the sheckles.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Seems to wander at low speeds..
All deep V boats do it regardless of the type of drive or tabs.

My Liberator did it with the 460 King Cobra and still does it with the Bravo III.

Tabs don't make any difference either. Mine does it with the tabs up, down or in the middle.

Spring loaded tabs won't make any difference because at idling speeds, the tabs are all the way down. providing the same amount of drag on each side.

Deep V boats with a pronounced keel and/or skeg are less likely to "hunt" but they still do it.

Cheers,

Rick

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

my 28 foot bayliner does that too its totally normal for big boats to have soem wander. I did lower my tabs all the way down once at low speeds at it does seem to track much better. You just have to remember to rais them back up and re align them when you get on plane. I usually just leave them alone at low speeds and deal with the wander. Its not so bad really. I lower my drive all the way down / in and it helps alot