Seeking Guidance - Penta SX-A Cone Clutch & Cable Issue

I have researched the forum and it appears that cone clutch issues with Penta SX-A Outdrives are common. I have the typical problem of the drive will not drop into FORWARD but drops into REVERSE easily. RPMS are >800 and I have checked the fluid as well.

In checking the shift cables I am looking for experienced guidance. If I disconnect the linkage and manually rotate the linkage arm connected to the shifting dog to the extreme downward (Clockwise) position then the FWD drive engages (ie cannot rotate the prop in FWD direction by hand). It is obvious that cable is not pulling the linkage arm to this max forward position.

The rotation (and linear distance change) is small at only about 3/8 inch from where the drive just begins to engage all the way to the maximum CW position. I can definitely tell there is a detent at the neutral position but at the FWD and REV maximum rotation positions - a detent is not apparent.

Here are my questions:
I would like to believe that I can adjust the cable to get to full rotational position BUT am I fooling myself that this will solve the problem long term and only give me a few more runs on the lake before leaving me stranded?

Both FWD and REV seem extremely sensitive to the last bit of linkage rotation with ~ 3/8" going from start of drive engagement to full max position. Is this a sign my clutch is shot?

Photos below show rotating linkage hole position at Max Fwd rotation and when I feel the drive just fully engage in FWD - a very small difference overall

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Penta Fwd Max.jpgPenta FWD Start.jpg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I wouldn't worry too much about any play in the shift foot actuator when rotating it by hand. The clutch/shifter assy is designed to engage properly when the drive is rotating under a load

To test the full shifting of the drive you must make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly to the drive linkage.

Set the remote handle to the neutral position and remove the drive end connection. Ensure the drive is in the neutral detent position. Adjust the cable end trunion to align with the linkage hole. Attach and test shifting

FYI using mercury high performance lube in the drive has caused shifting issues in volvo sx- series drives. Best to use volvos brand/weight, second would be seirra

I wouldn't worry too much about any play in the shift foot actuator when rotating it by hand. The clutch/shifter assy is designed to engage properly when the drive is rotating under a load

To test the full shifting of the drive you must make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly to the drive linkage.

Set the remote handle to the neutral position and remove the drive end connection. Ensure the drive is in the neutral detent position. Adjust the cable end trunion to align with the linkage hole. Attach and test shifting

FYI using mercury high performance lube in the drive has caused shifting issues in volvo sx- series drives. Best to use volvos brand/weight, second would be seirra
Thanks for the input. I will try to get the cable adjusted tomorrow - weather permitting. I hope that once I adjust to the neutral position that I can get the cable adjusted such that the linkage pushes to the max position.

I checked the lube level and read that the Volvo is an amber color which is what I noted. I will probably change it anyway since it is out of the water now.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
One thing I’ve done to reduce the slop in the mechanism is to add additional washers or a zip tie to eliminate the lateral movement. If there is slip, this will help to reduce it and provide more cable travel.

One thing I’ve done to reduce the slop in the mechanism is to add additional washers or a zip tie to eliminate the lateral movement. If there is slip, this will help to reduce it and provide more cable travel.
That is a good tip I noticed there is a lot of slip in my linkage and I was thinking how to maximize the cable travel to try and get the max benefit

Unfortunately I am now out of town and wont get back at it for at least a week.