Securing ply to transom

macgyver69

Cadet
I am replacing the wood in my transom with 2 layers of 1/2 inch ply per original. I understand I need to thicken the resin in order to adhere the ply to the hull(transom). Would it be possible to thicken it with regular wheat flour? How much? I'm using poly resin on a 16' tri-hull I/O. (I haven't had any luck finding wood flour or microballoons or anything.)<br /><br />Also, I plan on glueing the two pieces together along w/ ss screws and then mat over the whole thing. Will any waterproof glue work?<br /><br />Thanx in advance,<br /><br />Paul<br />(aka) MacGyver

ferrariman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Securing ply to transom

Get coffee grinder and some fiberglass mat and grind it into dust, then mix that with your resin, makes kind of a peanut butter type mixture, great for what your doing.

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can use this stuff, but his idea is way cheaper and is pretty much the exact same stuff. Any type of powder like flour or talk will be easier to sand, but shredded glass is wwwaaaaay stronger. Good idea, ferrariman.

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would stay away from the flour or anything else that would absorb and hold moisture. Shredded mat is a good idea. If you can not find supplies locally check out us composites.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used a heavy layer of mat between the ply and transom shell on my project, with plenty of resin. I clamped, bolted, affixed the snot out of it until it cured. I then sheathed the whole thing in with mat and roving. I recently cut a section out when fabbing in my kicker splashwell, and just for giggles tried to get the layer of transom shell off and couldn't. This was with poly resin. Epoxy would be even stronger.

samsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

macgyver69 said:
I am replacing the wood in my transom with 2 layers of 1/2 inch ply per original. I understand I need to thicken the resin in order to adhere the ply to the hull(transom). Would it be possible to thicken it with regular wheat flour? How much? I'm using poly resin on a 16' tri-hull I/O. (I haven't had any luck finding wood flour or microballoons or anything.)<br /><br />Also, I plan on glueing the two pieces together along w/ ss screws and then mat over the whole thing. Will any waterproof glue work?<br /><br />Thanx in advance,<br /><br />Paul<br />(aka) MacGyver
Layup 2 resin rich layers of 1 1/2 oz mat against the old transom. Resin coat a piece of ply and set against transom. Resin up the other side and layup 1 resin rich layer of 1 1/2 oz mat against it. Resin coat the other piece of ply and set against the mat. Clamp it all up real good. You don't have enough BIG clamps so you can either drill a bunch of small holes through the fiberglass transom and the first piece of ply and use a bunch of screws to pull it all up tight or better yet drill a fewer number of slightly bigger holes all the way through and use threaded rod to clamp 2x4's or big washers inside and outside to clamp it all together. Use plastic sheeting to keep the 2x4's from sticking where you don't want them stuck and wax the outside of the transom first to make cleaning the resin oozes and runs off easier. After its set-up, fill the holes with glued dowels hammered in. Fill the gaps on the edges and make a fillet using the ground mat and resin the others suggested. Clean it all up and put at least 1 layer of mat and one layer of 24oz woven roven or 3 layers mat on the inside and patch the holes on the outside. Use a 7 or 9" roller to apply the resin, use a slow mix and try to do it when it's cool and definately not out in the sun. Have all the materials precut and set out easily accesible, have the required amount of resin divided into 2 or 3 batches with the hardener premeasured for each next to them, mixing sticks etc. Have either a bunch of disposable gloves or a pair of rubber gloves acetone won't dissolve and a can with a quart or so of acetone to periodically clean them of with. Do a few dry runs to get the idea, work rapid but smooth. Have fun. Sam

sdunt

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for clamping, the one thing that worked for me was to use bar clamps in spreader mode from the previously installed floor to press the bottom of the transom back and into place. There are some pictures in my shareaproject