Second mortgage for a carb?

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
the holly 2 bbl carb i have on the 3.0 cobra im assuming is plugged up and may or may not be salvagable so for gits and shiggles i looked up the price of a new/reman for this 140 hp chev motor. What is so special about these carbs? I have seen them advertized in excess of $2000 Canadian. I mean REALLY?????

randy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Contact-----king propeller repair----Located in Ontario.----Possibly find a good used one there.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
find a place in the US, how much for shipping and duty?
how close are you to the border, might be worth a trip
for a 2 bbl carb, you can still buy a brand new Holley 2300
brand new....don't waste time with used carbs you find on line, they can be Franken carbs that are pieced together and may not work

alternatively, have you tried to clean your carb? I can rebuild my old Q-Jet 4bbl for like $60 for the very best carb kit you can find.
or, if you don't want to take on that task, find a shop that caters to classic cars, they do this kind of thing all the time
the main thing is the cleaning, of every passageway and jet.

airshot

Rear Admiral
No one said boating was cheap !! However, just because they advertise that price doesn't mean they sell any at that price !! People have a tendency to ask crazy prices for something they think is scarce, but how many actually sell ?? I have always had better experiences rebuilding with a good kit than anything rebuilt by ??? Who knows...

dubs283

Vice Admiral
the holly 2 bbl carb i have on the 3.0 cobra im assuming is plugged up...........$2000 Canadian. I mean REALLY?????

How do you know the holley is plugged?

You can spend a lot more than $2000 CD on a new carburetor and get excellent performance.

Holleys are one of if not the easiest sterndrive/inboard engine carburetors to rebuild/tune. Parts readily available at most corner auto parts stores in marine version too!

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The in carb filter is plugged, the choke butterfly is covered in rust and it hesitates big time when throttling up fast so at the very least it need a kit but never had a lot of luck with kits

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 3 liter won't need any more air than what this can provide

But if you insist on putting on a Carb that is really too big,

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the holly 2 bbl carb i have on the 3.0 cobra im assuming is plugged up and may or may not be salvagable so for gits and shiggles i looked up the price of a new/reman for this 140 hp chev motor. What is so special about these carbs? I have seen them advertized in excess of $2000 Canadian. I mean REALLY?????

randy
It's a $350 usd Holley 2300 marine 300 cfm carb that you can buy from Summit Racing and have delivered even to Canada

However a Holley carb has less moving parts than the average toilet and usually can be pulled apart, cleaned and put back together with $20 with of gaskets, or you can break down and buy the whole rebuild kit for under $50

Just look on the air horn. Look up the Holley list number and Google rebuild kits. Get AEM, QuickFuel or Holley only

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
What is so special about these carbs?

Marine Carbs have to be designed/modified so that Fuel is only be allowed to be directed into the Intake Manifold. That includes any from high Fuel Level in the Fuel Bowl, any that is condensed on the Throttle Shaft(s). Automotive Carbs do not have that Requirement.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Correct you MUST use a marine carb. But if you compare the price of new auto Vs marine I bet there isn’t much difference. New carbs are just expensive regardless of auto vs marine.
This is why knowing how to properly clean & rebuild a carb is a very valuable skill…

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Marine Carbs have to be designed/modified so that Fuel is only be allowed to be directed into the Intake Manifold. That includes any from high Fuel Level in the Fuel Bowl, any that is condensed on the Throttle Shaft(s). Automotive Carbs do not have that Requirement.
Not sure if I understand this. Isn’t the intake manifold where the fuel should always go?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Not sure if I understand this. Isn’t the intake manifold where the fuel should always go?
Jimbo is discussing a failure. Automotive carbs dump excessive fuel outside the carb where it runs off the motor and onto the road.

In a boat with a bilge, that is a bomb and will blow up

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Marine carbs use a J Tube for the bowl vent vs a straight vent on an auto carb. So if the float sticks or something jams the needle valve the fuel that backs up out of the vent will go down the venturi vs going on the outside of the carb on the intake.
There are other differences as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Since the OP isnt digging and providing information.

most likely its a Holley 75028 / R80316 (500 cfm) or R80320 (300 cfm)

OMC lists Y42-2CC as the carb for the 1994-1998 OMC's
302DCMMDA, 302DGMMDA (I am guessing here, as the earlier OMC's had rochester 2-J's

Carburetor Numbers: R80316, 80316, 80316-1, 80316-2, 80316-3, 3857070, 3857981, 3854086

listed new from holley for $578 with free shipping. https://www.holley.com/products/fue...UrtImQLi09ZD_SL-XOmCX7sCL4rzQOOxoCM-gQAvD_BwE

Any site selling for more than that price is simply scamming you.

If buying new, I would go with this as its hard-anodized for corrosion where the original was only plated. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-0-82500

If you want to rebuild, going to the Holley Bible. https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_carb_numerical_listing.pdf

Holley Renew kit 6-506 or 703-41

so for under $50 you get the correct kit to rebuild the carburetor that is simpler than a toilet. (6 moving parts), 8 total passage ways to clean

so exactly what do you mean by this?
the holly 2 bbl carb i have on the 3.0 cobra im assuming is plugged up and may or may not be salvagable

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Scott FTW!

Let's see if any of the (awesome) provided info sinks in

A 2bbl holley ime is the easiest inboard/sterndrive carburetor to clean/rebuild. It'd be a shame to toss a most likely easily salvageable component in the trash

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Exactly
See what happens when you’re too young to have grown up with carbs?
I had to rebuild:
Solex 1bb (65 VW 1200 cc)
Autolite 2100 (70 Ford 302)
Keihin 3 bbl (1980 Honda 1335 cc)
Never had to take apart the Rochester 2bbl on our 72 Chevy 350 or the QJet on our 75 Olds 350.

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Starting with a new bronze filter element which is plugged, i can barely blow thorugh it. I wasnt paying attention when i pulled it out as i wasnt aware that it is different from one end to the other plus there is a spring inside. Can someone tell me the orientation of the bronze element?

randy

Randy stoner

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I havent had a chance to work on this boat for a while so today i removed the fuel/water separator. Full of water and rust. I replaced. Boat will not start. I filled it with gas prior too. Also i pulled off the valve on the top of the holley float boat and it was dry. I filled it up with full and it started but then stalled again. The brass filter in the carb is new as well. BTW when i put fuel inthe boal it ran great.

So moving back down the line, im assuming now the fuel pump is bad or dry. Guess i will be pulling it off and seeing whats up with that.

randy

Bondo

Staff member
so today i removed the fuel/water separator. Full of water and rust.
Ayuh,..... I would expect you'll find more of the same, from the fuel tank, to the carb,.......