Seats and carpet??

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice
I am restoring a 19ft 89 Bayliner. Most would say NOT WORTH THE TIME, but I like the project. I ned to replace just the floor carpeting, does anyone know where I can find the Best Price?? Also my seats are hashed, the previouse owner put some sort of black rubber on all the tears to prevent ay further damage, but it was pointles, there is more goop than Vynel. What is the easyest way to redo the seats? I have found Vynel online and I can stretch and staple it on my self, but there are lots of curves and seems on these seats. Is it possible for an ameture to do? Where am I going to find the best price on Vynel?

D

DJ

Re: Seats and carpet??

Keef,<br /><br />Many times it's cheaper to just replace the seats and do the other trim vinyl to match.<br /><br />iboats (here) Mega Mall has great prices and selection.

Realgun

Commander

Best price for carpet is Home Depot or Lowes. Look for cut loop outdoor carpet. Outdoor glue is there also. if it says marine break out your wallet.<br /><br />Seats are best replaced IMHO. the cost to recover is high. If you have access to a sewing machine you could redo the ones you have. Look on the web for yinyl.

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, I will check Homedepot out. However on the seats most of the after market choices are to small for my boat and a stander flat back desine. I know there are some contoured styles out there but those run over three hundred dollars for the back to backs. I found some White boat vynel on Yahoo for 4.99 a five foot by one yard piece on clearance, so if possible I think that would be cheapes. I just dont know how they sew in the tube seems on all of them. I can do a stander seem, but the tubes I cant figure. Can anyone help???

michael-lagrange

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tail_Gunner; thats a neat show, planning to do my own upholstry soon that helped. thanks

cosander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there another way to round the edges of wood without buying a router? Referring to the slide show

thunderroad

Chief Petty Officer

For a project like that you could probably do it with a belt sander...or, worse comes to worse, a wood rasp and sandpaper. Think real hard....who has a router and owes you a favor?

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice

So when you attach the cords, are they just basicly there to cover the seem underneath?

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keefbikes,<br /><br />check out boatcarpetbuys.com. Shipping is free and carpet is better quality than home depot or lowes. With the free shipping it turns out to be cheaper. At least it did in my area. My local Home Depot and Lowes do not have available stock and it has to be special ordered. Check out this thread Great Marine Carpet Source

Keefbikes

Seaman Apprentice

Very helpfull, thank you all. Great links. I am going to give it a try.

Terry Olson

Chief Petty Officer

I bought carpet from boatcarpetbuys.com - they carry the same marine carpets as Home Depot and Lowes but with free shipping I saved about $70.oo and had the carpet at my door in 3 days as opposed to ten from my "local" stores. <br /><br />I'll buy there next time for sure.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Stop messing around I have the 1988 version of the same boat. Carpet on the bottom was thread bare. Sides are still okay. Anyway after digging around I found that R & R Textiles Inc. was the original supplier to Bayliner and is one of the largest OEM suppliers of boat carpet in the world. Best of all they sell direct. Go to R & R Textiles. It is a great site, you can order sample swatches for free and you can order direct for less than retail. I matched my carpet with Ensign Blue. They also will make custom carpet snap in mats but they are a bit on the high side for an 89 BL. As for Home Depot they have the contact cement, which is what I recommend to glue it in. But for true Marine lush pile, check out R&R!<br /><br />BTW, what power plant and driveline do you have?