Seat base to Deck attachment question

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm replacing the sole in a small fishing boat. My goal is to keep the boat as light and as open as possible. Therefore I want seats that can be removed easily leaving as little toe stubbing a base as possible. Here's a picture of two old bases. I want to prepare for something like this BEFORE I glass in the deck. So my question is what do you think is the best seat base attachment that will,

1. Be somewhat universal, many seat pedestals will fit.
2. Be low profile.
3. Give the best protection from allowing water to get under the deck with the seat in place or removed. (the two styles in the picture would let water run down under the deck through the center hole when the seat is removed)
4. Not protrude below deck more than 2 1/2 inches
5. Be Sturdy.

seat.jpg

Thanks for looking, I appreciate any advise.
Andy

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seat base to Deck attachment question

I built my own... 5" tall, 16" square base. 1" PVC Center post. Epoxied to the hull. Will tab them in with Biaxial cloth and no chance of water penetrating the deck.;) Cost $10 bucks a piece to make em. I can send you the "How To" if you're interested.

Photo0369.jpg

Photo0370.jpg

Photo0372.jpg

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very nice.

For my fishing boat it would be an tripping obstacle when the seat is removed,

BUT, I love the idea for another boat I'm working on.

Thank you, and also I've read some of your B F posts and it looks great!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Are you working on a fiberglass or tin boat?

ANY deck penetrations will let water in. Your best bet would to be to ensure that your bilge will drain properly or don't penetrate your glassed in deck.

This type pedestal base will be your best bet for minimal tripping/stubbing hazard.

120103-IMG_0984.jpg

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK, I think I have this ciphered out.

Looking at boat pedestals right here on our hosts site I see that 3/4" pin types are common. So what I think I want is a Stainless Steel base that excepts a 3/4 pin and does not go more than 2 1/2 inches below the deck. I can 5200 the base down to the deck and be fairly sure I make a good seal. That only leaves the hole in the base that the pin goes in so either I need a base where that hole is not open on the bottom or I need to plug the hole when the seat is not in use. So I wonder do they make covers that fit the hole of a 3/4 type pin base for when the seat is not installed?