Sears Gamefisher motor

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
My father in law passed away and left me a 3.0 H.P. Sears Gamefisher motor in his shed. Looks to be in great condition. Model # 298-586190, air cooled. Before I get into it trying to start it, I was wondering what the oil mixture is (oil/gas ratio) ? I also see that the air cleaner assembly has a whole melted in it. I cannot get this part (obsolete) can I just patch the hole with some J-B weld or the like? How critical is this part? What should I do to get this started? It probably has not ran for quite awhile now at least 10 years I would guess. Thanks for any tips you can give me to get it running!

robert graham

Admiral
Clean fuel tank, petcock, carb....then fresh gas. Clean spark plug. That "air cleaner" is only to keep water out of carb...no filter...just patch it with JB Weld or epoxy or anything....but it needs to be on there..... Gas/Oil ratio is 50:1 or about 2.6 ounces of oil per gallon of gas....use chain saw or similar oil since this is an air cooled motor and runs hotter than a normal water cooled outboard. One slot head screw/clamp holds carb on so very easy to remove for cleaning. Might check/clean/refill lower unit/ gearbox with fresh oil....Motor will probably start right up....I've been running one of these motors for 25 years and they're darn good....

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the input. I will be trying to start it up within the next few days. Just did not know what to do first. Thanks again!! Will post an update in a few days.

robert graham

Admiral
The motor is super-simple and very dependable....take the upper cowling off and look around under there and get familiar with the workings of it....if you use it in salt water be sure to rinse it afterward with fresh water and spray the motor down with WD-40 or similar to help prevent corrosion.....good luck!