Sears Gamefisher 3.0 (Tanaka TOB-300) Will not start whatever I try.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sears Gamefisher 3.0 (Tanaka TOB-300) Will not start whatever I try.

Have you tried putting a little fuel in a spray bottle and spraying into throat of carb? If it starts and keeps running as long as you're bottle feeding it then it's a fuel problem....

trock79

Cadet

Have you tried putting a little fuel in a spray bottle and spraying into throat of carb? If it starts and keeps running as long as you're bottle feeding it then it's a fuel problem....

Yes I did, I have tried the fuel mix in a spray bottle, and starting fluid. I can get it to put, put, put and that is about it.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Looks like it's time to disassemble the carb and rebuild it. Plus check the fuel flow and make sure it's running freely.

trock79

Cadet

Looks like it's time to disassemble the carb and rebuild it. Plus check the fuel flow and make sure it's running freely.

But I am getting fuel passed the carb, and when I use a spray bottle with fuel mix it still doesn't start. I dissassembled the carb and it looked brand new on the inside, no build up of any kind. I just can't figure out why if I have fuel, spark and compression it still doesn't start. I know it is catching because I get a lot of smoke when I try starting.

robert graham

Admiral

That little clip on the carb needle would normally be in the center position....has it been moved?, and maybe try it in a different position to provide a bit more fuel flow? You do have a good fresh spark plug and gapped correctly? If you have gas, air, and compression, then the quality and timing of the spark could be the suspect. I've actually had 2 of these motors and the first one was a 1983 model and I think it had mechanical points with a condenser under the flywheel, I wore it out and bought another one about 1995 and it's always been a lot quicker starting than the old motor, I assumed it had a newer electronic ignition but not sure? If your motor is old, with points and condenser, then your problem may be under that flywheel! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

trock79

Cadet

That little clip on the carb needle would normally be in the center position....has it been moved?, and maybe try it in a different position to provide a bit more fuel flow? You do have a good fresh spark plug and gapped correctly? If you have gas, air, and compression, then the quality and timing of the spark could be the suspect. I've actually had 2 of these motors and the first one was a 1983 model and I think it had mechanical points with a condenser under the flywheel, I wore it out and bought another one about 1995 and it's always been a lot quicker starting than the old motor, I assumed it had a newer electronic ignition but not sure? If your motor is old, with points and condenser, then your problem may be under that flywheel! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Ok, I think we may be on to something. with the throttle wide open is the needle supposed to come out completely? If so than the clip has moved.

carbonjunky

Recruit

Ok, I think we may be on to something. with the throttle wide open is the needle supposed to come out completely? If so than the clip has moved.
Hey Trock79 , did you ever get this problem resolved ? I am having the same issue and have done everything you have done but still will not start , and my needle clip is on the second notch down from the top , which is where people on this forum have stated it should be.