sealing the deck

jperry1444

Seaman
i am in the process of complete deck replacement in my fiberglass tri-hull. the stringers are molded into the interior hull so there is no wood to screw the new decking down to. do i use liquid nails or what? also, once the new deck is in place, what is the process of sealing the deck so i can put the carpet down?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: sealing the deck

Are the stringers foam filled or something like that?

jperry1444

Seaman

they stringers have a 3/8 or so piece of ply in them but the deck i just pulled out was not screwed down to it. Also, the wood is probably rotted (hence the deck replacement) and i don't think i can get it out of there because they pretty much run fore to aft. I was going to dry them as much as possible before laying the new decking in. i may be able to use toggles or mollies of some sort if the liquid nails will not work. Any suggestion is welcome as i have NO EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AT ALL. Thanks again.

fishrdan

Admiral

Search the restoration forum for boats with similar problems. A rotten deck is usually the sign of worse problems. If the stringers or transom are rotted, foam soaked, they need to be replaced.

Just replacing the deck could be like sticking a band-aid on a broken leg.

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the stringers are rotted too? Everyone on here will tell you that they will not dry out and you HAVE to replace them or risk the integrity of your boat.

redfury

Commander

Well, you are going to hear that you should replace the stringers ( that's what the deck gets screwed into generally ) and while this is usually the case, we all know there are plenty of boats out there where all that was replaced was the deck.

Here's what I would do. First, it would be nice to see what we are dealing with, but I'm going to work based on assumptions, because that's what we have to work with.

Since your stringers are seemingly too thin to drive a screw into, the solution that comes to mind is to run strips of wood along the length of your stringers and use that to hold your decking to the boat structure. Get a few 1x4's and sandwich the original stringer with one on each side. Get some PL premium adhesive and some coated deck screws of the right length and build a platform on which the deck can be glued and screwed to.

But before you do all that, coat that wood thoroughly with a good exterior paint or poly to seal it up to avoid rot. Make sure you do the same to the deck you are installing.

Once you've gotten the deck installed, you'll want to join the edges of the deck to the sides of the hull. This is where you should do at least some fiberglassing. One, to seal the edges from water intrusion, and two, to keep your hull integrity.

Before anyone else flames me for this, this is the MINIMUM I would suggest be done to replace the deck on old stringers of questionable integrity.

If you want to do it the PREFERRED way, let us know and we'll be happy to outline everything you need, including references, picture tutorials, etc.

If you want to do it the cheapest, yet safest way, consider what I posted as a suggestion on where to start...I value the opinion of the others on the board that may disagree with anything I suggested, so weigh all the options we present to you before jumping in to the pool without looking ;)

redfury

Commander

BTW, what model boat is this? Manufacturer? We need more information in order to understand the design on the boat. Was the original deck stapled to the stringers? Is there poured foam under the deck?

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

If you want to redeck..then have some Clay on hand.. ;) .

Dryfit deck with clay on your stringers .. ;) Nuff said here..

YD.

PS. another trick of the trade..

jperry1444

Seaman

The boat is a 1968 Sea Star Falcon. Good luck finding any info about it. It was a Glastex brand but long gone now. Their other brands are Sea Sprite and Speed Queen.

it is more like a tri-hull bass boat, no windshield, but has a cockpit.

reelfishin

Captain

I had a Speed Queen a few years ago, it had cardboard inside the stringers. They used the cardboard to form the stringers, if it rotted, no big deal. The glass was the main support.
Post a few pics so we can see what your dealing with. Chances are if they used plywood to form the stringers, it's likely there for structural support. You could cut off the tops of the stringers, replace the wood, then grind and recap the top of the stringers with new glass.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im serious lol !

Making little candles with clay and putting them on your stringers..then gently lay your new deck down and back out will tell you if you have uneaven stringer support.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask about my comment ;) .

YD.