Sealant coating or no Sealant

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Just did a search in the forum on torque spec for my 1995 Volvo 5.7 GL KMDA riser and exhaust manifold bolts and came across many different opinions (some opinions almost 5 years old) on whether to use a sealent on the gaskets. Some say do not use any while others say to use a sealent with it

I was not planning on using any sealent on the manifold gasket but was going to put a light tacky coating of #3 aviation on the riser to manifold gasket.

The flanges are in good shape and straight with all inperfections remove.

Any one have any thoughts on using the sealant with the riser gasket?

Also, is the 30 FT/LBS tourque sufficient for the riser to manifold bolts. I was only able to find one thread that gave the torque setting for a 5.7 riser and manifold and want to confirm this spec. (Manual on the way and it is not a Seloc).

NOTE: I ordered a Sierra aftermarket manifold and riser gasket if this makes a difference.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sealant coating or no Sealant

Newer style man/riser gaskets should not need any sealant.....;)
I'd go more than 30#'s on the bolts, closer to 50, but I am not really a Volvo guy......
You should be able to tell by the bolt size if you are getting too tight....:)

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I was reading one thread where Don was talking about the new gaskets and not putting anything on them but if I remember right it was for a mercury. Actually in the thread they were talking about merc no longer requiring the locktite on the gasket.

Wish I could get the proper torque spec for the riser though. I do not want that riser leaking.

Bill

John_S

Rear Admiral

Yep, I remember the post by Don. On the new Merc gaskets, they are made of graphite. If the Volvo ones you have are graphite, probably no sealant as well. I'd wait for Don's response though. He will have all the answers you are looking for. :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

NOTE: I ordered a Sierra aftermarket manifold and riser gasket if this makes a difference.

Well, you better ask Sierra, cause they have nothing like the Volvo Penta exhaust riser gaskets.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Don, I understand your view and loyalty to OEM products, but how do you justify $28 for a riser gasket compared to $8 for a Sierra from our local dealers?

I know boating is expensive but this is outright robbery in my books. The manifold gasket is only $12 from Volvo dealer. This gasket is more complex than riser.

Bill

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

memory says 25 ft pounds, however that is with OEM gaskets.
paper usully I use perfect seal. the shiny teflon coated gaskets and the metal shim type use NO sealer.
I never tried sierra so I cannot comment, call sierras tech line and ask them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Billy, Put some anti-seize on the manifold bolts. It will keep them from corroding into the block.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Billy, Put some anti-seize on the manifold bolts. It will keep them from corroding into the block.

Yes this is a given. I was going to use the anti-seize but after reading some of Don's posts I am going to give the perfect seal a try on the bolts instead.

Fortunately, both the manifold nuts and also the riser bolt came out with ease on removal.

Rod, followed your instructions and sent an email to the Sierra tech support in regards to torque specs using Sierra aftermarket parts and will let you know what how they respond.

I am going to try calling Volvo and see if they will give me the original torque specs

Thanx guys

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if your going to use sierra gaskets the volvo numbers may or may not apply.
wait for sierra.
the late style metal shim gaskets that are OEM work much better than any paper or composite did but the surfaces have to be flat and clean.

Don S

On the old graphite gaskets Volvo used originally, the torque was 12 to 18 ft lbs. With the new style metal shim gasket, it's 30 ft lbs.

But it don't mean a thing with the straight paper gasket that Sierra uses.
I also wonder why Mercruiser and Volvo stopped using paper gaskets years and years ago. Suppose they know something??????

happycamper

Seaman Apprentice

bill,
I replaced my manifold in May using OEM VP parts. No sealant, no problems. The manifold gasket was graphite.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Called Volvo tonight and their tech guy sent an instruction file to me. 30 Ft/lbs for riser as Don said and 22 Ft/ Lbs for manifold.

Does not really mean ****tttt now as I seperated my shoulder tonight and will be layed up for a while. Worst pain of my life!

Thanks to you all for the help

Bill

Don S

Sorry to hear about your injury, but eventually it will heal and you will have to fix the problem.
Was the file Volvo sent you titled Installation Instructions Kit number 3863191 ? If so, that is the instructions for the metal shim gasket. You are still comparing apples to oranges.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Good Morning Don: That is not the exact name but yes it is the 3863891 instuctions.

I just got the reply from Sierra.

Most torque specs are determined by the properties of the attaching hardware (bolts). We do not deviate from the OEM recommended specifications. With that said I will now supply you with the recommended torques specs, which is the same as what Volvo recommends.

Elbow to manifold torque : 12-18 ft/lbs
Manifold to head torque: 20-26 ft/lbs

If you need anything else let me know.

To which I replied

Those spec below are not accurate. Those were Volvo's old torque specs. They have changed the design of their gaskets years ago according to a Volvo mechanic and this is why he had me contact you. I have attached the install instructions that Volvo sent me for my specific engine if using the OEM gasket.

Also, do you recommend a sealant on the riser gasket?

Bill

Well seing as I am layed up, my 14 year old son is going start working on engines under my supervision as of today, LOL...

Bill

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I just got the response to my reply.....

Bill,

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually looked up the values for Aluminum manifolds. The Cast iron will withstand the higher torque values. Our riser gaskets are impregnated with sealant and therefore, do not require you to apply sealant for the install.

f_inscreenname

Commander

New manifolds, I always install them dry. If they are older and not so perfect mating surfaces then it gets a smear of hi-temp RTV.

Don S

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually looked up the values for Aluminum manifolds. The Cast iron will withstand the higher torque values. Our riser gaskets are impregnated with sealant and therefore, do not require you to apply sealant for the install.

Aluminum manifolds????? Volvo has never used Aluminum manifolds on engines like yours! Never. The torque spec. has nothing to do with manifold material, but it does have to do with gasket material.
The 12 to 18 is for a graphite and metal combination gasket, while the higher torque value is for a thin metal shim type gasket.

In other words, they don't have a clue, they just make cheap parts and sell them.